The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Still Overwhelmingly Busy


 

I am still feeling rather overwhelmed.  But, I am trying to make the best of it.  Too many things to do and unfortunately, very little time to accomplish them.... and to make it harder.... most of the things are related to unpleasant paperwork and paper shuffling challenges. 

My friend who goes by "Unknown" here commented:

"I worry that one of these days you'll impulsively grab for that welcome tool at a time when you feel a particular need for support... and then you will guilt yourself terribly when you realize that you're feeling drawn back into full-time pipe-smoking." 

I do admit having that concern as well.  I could see it occurring in a moment of shear frustration and/or sadness/anxiety or some such similar roiling emotion.  I would like to find a way back to my pipes that is guilt free.  But, other than the sporadic, long distance destination pipe method (aka as what I did with Iwan Ries in Chicago), I am not sure IF there is a way to return without guilt.  From my quick calculation, it has now been 1,946 days that I have gone without indulging in my friendly pipes and pipe tobaccos.  Well, technically, I guess it would be 1,945 days…. because I DID have the ethereal, but infinitely memorable splendor of a robust, tranquil, tasty, convivial, and very friendly pipe at Iwan Ries.  

  • 11.6 miles (~19 km) this morning.  Nice weather.  It seems the air quality has improved as well.  Last week during the peak of the smoky haze from the Canadian wildfires, I ran two of my days on the indoor track (because in theory, the filtered, indoor air was better/safer).  
  • Our garden is growing well, but we need to do some weeding.... however it will have to wait, as I have too much paperwork weighing me down like a barge filled to the brim with iron ore.  I am especially looking forward to eating home-grown horseradish this fall.  
  • Even though I still have a helluva lot to do, my wife was able to help me last evening by being a listening ear to my worries/concerns about all the crap I needed to manage to do in the next week and a half.  Her support, and her willingness to hear my grousing and express the stresses and anxieties..... helped me to calm down a bit and helped me to focus and organize.

Back to work.

PipeTobacco 

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We do appreciate the support of our spicy spouses.

Wednesday, 14 June, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

Wonderful to have a listening ear. Encouragement helps us to move forward.

Wednesday, 14 June, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home