The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, June 19, 2023

Relief, But Exhaustion


 

A sense of relief, but not because I am "done" with all the myriad of things I must do this week.... far from it.  But, more about the relief near the end.

  • As was anticipated, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were non-stop work.  The only exceptions were rather brief.... a half an hour swim with my wife on Saturday, Mass, and a brief dinner out because it was Father's Day.  Other than that, non-stop computer work and other work-work, from sun up to about 10pm each day.
  • As I needed to get my miles in since I could not run Friday, I had to hoof out 10.5 miles (~17 km) on Saturday.  With the Canadian wildfires still causing atmospheric issues, I first went to the track... only to find that they have decided to close on weekends between June 15th and August 15th.  So, I had to go back and run outside.
  • Nothing even remotely interesting to report about the WORK that I did those three days.  I can attest that I would hate/despise/be emotionally demoralized if my career were in the computer/data entry field.  Working on a computer all damn day is SO very draining to me.  I work more than enough on the computer as a regular old professor.  But, having it be my whole damn day?!?!?!  That would be torture.  People who like that sort of career must have a far, far different level of resolve than I could ever muster.
  • This morning, a repair person was set to come and fix our clothes dryer.  But, he arrived.... and proceeded to tell us that the wrong part had been ordered.... so we have to wait some more.  It has been two weeks since we have done laundry.  The first week was due to waiting for the first appointment to "evaluate".  The second week was waiting for the damnable part to be ordered and to come in..... and of course they ordered the wrong thing.  So, it may be three weeks or more before we get our dryer fixed.  My wife and I are thinking we will go to a laundromat, but there are not many around anymore.  It will be a bit of a drive. 
  • I awoke extra early so I could get my run finished and be home for the dryer repairman.  I ran 10.5 miles (~17 km) this morning.  I would have ran more if I had known the appointment would go to hell. 
Now... onto the relief..... but first..... the horror and worry preceding the relief:

  • After the repairman bailed because of the incorrect part, my wife and I both decided to get on with other things we could do and get done.  My wife had a variety of errands she wanted to accomplish, and I needed to get to the U to get working again on the many tasks I had as well.
  • When I pulled into the parking lot at the U, I got a call from my wife, and she was crying.
  • She had fallen... tripped over the edge of a curb and had hit her head on the cement, right above her eye socket.  She had also scrapped her knee and leg.  She was quite worried, but was heading to the nearby Emergency Room for evaluation. 
  • I immediately high-tailed it off the U campus and raced to the Emergency Room.
  • My wife was at the registration desk when I arrived. 
  • She was wheeled into a space in the ER, and I was allowed to be in her room.  Over the next 3.5 hours lots of tests were performed, including a head CAT Scan and an X-ray of the pelvic region. 
  • The relief.... came when the clinician came in and told us that there were no disturbing signs in any of the tests.  My wife will likely be black-and-blue in and around the eye for a few days, and will likely be very sore.... but all the especially worrisome things were ok.  
  • She was told to rest, and that is what she is going to do this afternoon.... and will (hopefully) drink plenty of fluids as well.  
  • I am now back at the U, trying to get more crap done.  
PipeTobacco


3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I'm so glad and relieved that your wife is OK. Falls are terrifying at any age but especially as we get older. I won't lecture you about running in bad AQ but...imagine my glare.

Monday, 19 June, 2023  
Blogger Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Tuesday, 20 June, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hope your wife is okay. Your might recall that Sue had a big fall last winter. Her bruise is so deep that it still exists under the skin. It can still be seen if you know where to look, and she’ll probably have it for the rest of her life. Now, that sounds depressing, but I am just chatting and not making a prediction. 😀

Tuesday, 20 June, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home