The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Broccoli

 

As you may know, I really like analogies.

 

 

Yesterday, to illustrate a point I was making about my enjoyment of pipe tobacco, I stated that I would willingly forgo the fun, but unessential nicotine in smoking pipe tobacco..... if there was a way to have pipe tobacco smoking be health-risk free.  It is, of course, just a flight of fancy, as a) it would be impossible to make smoking health-risk free, and b) nicotine is not the reason pipe tobacco smoking is unhealthy.  But.... now to the analogy:

I really LIKE to eat broccoli.  I eat A LOT of broccoli.  Not everyone likes broccoli.  In fact, a sizable number of folks DISLIKE broccoli, and may even be repulsed by broccoli.  

One common way to serve and eat broccoli is "broccoli & cheese".  Broccoli & Cheese is quite tasty.  I have eaten it that way many times.  Yet, I very seldom eat Broccoli & Cheese these days.  Cheese (at least the cheese usually used in broccoli & cheese) typically has a LOT of fat, which is not conducive to by BMI goals.  

But.... I still eat A LOT of broccoli.  The lack of the cheese sauce is of very minimal importance to me.  I just really LIKE broccoli.   

+ + + 

So, in yesterday's post... I am stating unequivocally that I REALLY enjoy the act of smoking pipe tobacco and tobacco pipes.  The actual aspects of smoking pipe tobacco are such, that I would readily give up the nicotine (the tasty "cheese") to be able to simply smoke pipe tobacco anytime I desire.  

But, where my analogy goes awry is that  unadorned broccoli is healthy.  Pipe tobacco (even if nicotine could be removed) would still unfortunately be dangerous.  

+ + + 

Pat's comments yesterday, however, about the 1960s era report by the Surgeon General are very valid considerations as well.  I actually have a paper copy of the report that I garnered several years ago by Interlibrary Loan.  It does indeed show a modest improvement in longevity of pipe smokers compared to non-smokers.  This would suggest pipe smoking may not be harmful due to the variety of ways that Pat has succinctly outlined.  

I DO think about that report quite often.  And, for a number of years I actually did keep those data at the forefront of my mind as the beginnings of worry about my love affair with the pipe and pipe tobaccos started to creep into my psyche a few years ago. 

So...... today, in 2023..... I still find myself on a wobbly teeter-totter of sorts.... with no real directionality or focus.  Nearly 100% of each day I would LIKE to be smoking my pipes and pipe tobaccos.  But, in the same vein, I cannot know or discern if it is really what I should or should not do........ or.....  if I can attempt to be both "elegant" and "ironic" at the same time.... Are pipe tobaccos and pipe smoking something I should engage in in 2023..... or is it best to only remain a "pipe dream"?  

I just do not know.

+ + +

  • It was strangely beautiful outside at 5 am this morning.  It was 70 degrees!!!!!  (21 C).  So, I hoofed my ten miles (~16km) outside with my headlight strapped to my cap.  It was rather beautiful watching the dawn of a new day as light slowly crept up the horizon.  
  • Swimming is in store again this afternoon!  
  • A few potentially positive things are happening at work.  I do not want to jinx myself, so I am going to stay mum until there is greater certainty.  
  • My wife and I may go out to dinner tonight too..... no dishes to wash!
PipeTobacco


5 Comments:

Blogger DMP said...

EXCEPT that broccoli is high in oxalates, and so can contribute to kidney stones in those so predisposed. I've had to moderate it's intake, and even forgo others like almonds, chocolate, rhubarb ( a favorite) because of this.

Wednesday, 25 October, 2023  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, if you are worried about deleterious effects of pipe tobacco, I am a bit surprised that you can enjoy a restaurant meal. Most restaurants are much more interested in serving tasty food than in serving healthy food; even the restaurants that show you the calorie count of each entree will not readily reveal the sodium, sugar, and fat content that they adjust to appeal to your palate. If you cannot comfortably enjoy a bowl of pipe tobacco, I don't imagine that you can comfortably and in good conscience enjoy a restaurant meal.

Wednesday, 25 October, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

Hope that all goes well--without mentioning what! :)
I love broccoli but it doesn't love me.

Wednesday, 25 October, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I might be able to suffer broccoli smothered in a cheesy sauce. Might. Might not. I can tolerate cauliflower done that way -- but barely.

Thursday, 26 October, 2023  
Blogger GaP said...

Professor...I don't know you well...But pipe smoking seems to be a part of what you are. I came to your blog when you were a regular smoker and recall fondly your musings and outright odes to the melding of flame and tobacco. The whole practice and culture of pipe smoking seemed to be a calming and centering aspect of your life...And you've written about it longingly ever since you've stopped.

Thursday, 26 October, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home