The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, October 12, 2023

Homeostasis

Throughout my courses, a universal concept of physiology I stress abundantly is a rather deeply nuanced understanding of the concept of homeostasis.  Broadly, homeostasis is sometimes is truncated into a simplified idea of "balance" much like the image I have posted above.  A common, although extremely overly simple and artificial example often used for  this balance is suggesting that homeostatic blood pressure is 120/80.  

In true physiology, however, homeostasis is FAR more complex and simultaneously subtle.  Even though multiple volumes of text would be necessary to do this concept adequate justice,  the following definition I give students in some of my lower division courses will suffice for purposes of what I want to describe:

Homeostasis comprises the physiological modifications an organism will adopt to attempt to maintain functionality, based upon the range of and intensity of environmental pressures the organism is experiencing. 

In the earlier example of blood pressure.... the deeper definition helps to show how blood pressure actually occurs in a range of "normalcy" depending upon environmental factors.  In my own case for example, on a "good" day, if I were to measure my blood pressure while resting, it would likely be somewhere in the neighborhood of 110/75.... give or take a few points in either direction.... not too damn shabby for an old codger.  But, at other times, I know my blood pressure would be more akin to 170/120.  170/120 would... sitting in your physician's office...  be considered very worrisome, and often times would result in you being prescribed Coreg (a common beta blocker drug for hypertension).  But, my 170/120 occurs in a more homeostatic fashion..... in the middle of my run.  The needs my muscles have for oxygen during running make my heart contract more vigorously and more frequently to meet those oxygen needs.  So.... environmental conditions are critical components of any meaningful discussion of homeostasis.  

* * *
I bring the above to you, as a segue of sorts to talk about the last few weeks where I have been mostly absent from here.  Unfortunately, because some of the things are too sensitive to mention, I have to mostly allude to things:

  • As you recall, "that which I don't talk about here anymore" caused quite a fracas.  That situation has "calmed down" somewhat, but the underlying issues remain completely unresolved.  I am striving to develop more of a laissez-faire attitude about this.... but fully admit it is awfully damn hard when it involves someone you love.  But, that is my current effort.
  • You also likely recall that the "horrendous duo" at work were reverting to their most obnoxious selves again.  Basically they put the kibosh on the curricular design proposal I had received universal Departmental approval (including the "horrendous duo") to develop and work through the U's governance.  This approval came back in April.  I had worked since April, including through the Summer with countless U folks.... other Departments, various administrators, many others on campus with a "finger in the pie" of this proposal.  Then, the damnable "horrendous duo", when the official Departmental vote was needed a couple of weeks ago to allow further progression of these proposals.... THEY VOTED NO and ABSTAIN.  When an originating Department has non-universal "YES" votes..... it throws up red flags each and every step along the rest of the process.  
  • If I did nothing following the "horrendous duo's" vote.... the probability that the proposal would fail was very high.  And I am still both FURIOUS and LIVID at these two backstabbing curs.  
  • But, I am trying to devote as much extra time as I can muster now to figure out a way to meet with each and every additional voting block in the U process, and explaining the values of this curricular proposal and asking for their affirmative, official vote.  I also try to explain the reasons for the "no" and "abstain" votes.... in certain company at the U I use a rather "diplomatic" explanation of one sort or another, and in other U company, I lay it out very brutally about the "horrendous duo".  
  • The above takes a helluva lot of time and work.  I have hardly enough time as it is to do the real work I need to do, let alone take on this.  But, I can be damn stubborn when I need to be... and I feel COMPELLED to try to the very best of my ability to pull off a surprise win here.  It may be a long shot still.... but if I can convince enough folks to overlook the votes from the "horrendous duo" and get this proposal through....... a) it will be a very good thing for students, b) it will allow a subset of students who had been blocked from certain courses for the last few years.... a viable pathway to obtain these classes that would benefit them as they proceed to graduate and professional schools, c) I would feel I did what was right, just, and kind for students, and... even though this is not nice to say, but I would also d) RELISH being able to metaphorically rub a win if it occurs in the "horrendous duo's" faces.   Please keep in mind I did say metaphorically.  I would not and will NOT do anything outward to goad them if I am victorious..... but if I DO get it through the system successfully.... they will KNOW that I succeeded in spite of them.

So.... the above are the "bigger" items that have transpired during my absence.  Basically.... I have had to adjust my body, mind, and spirit to the current environmental pressures I am facing.... to try to maintain homeostasis.  

There were several times where I thought I would not be able to adjust myself enough to cope.  But, I kept persevering.  I do not LIKE my current environment, but I am feeling that I can now maintain some semblance of homeostatic balance in this current state.   

I do look forward to a future where the environment in which I am embroiled is NOT as it is currently.  But, for the foreseeable future, that is likely only a pipe dream.

* * * 

Fortunately, during all this b*llsh*t, I have maintained my running.  There were many, MANY mornings in the last few weeks when I would wake up and the last damn thing I wanted to do was strap on my damnable clod-hoppers and go run in the dark with my headlamp.  But, I am very glad I could by sheer will, FORCE MYSELF to do so, for I would inevitably feel a bit less upset, a bit less angry, and also feel a small bit of calmness, and a bit more focus every time I pounded the damnable 10 miles out of my old body.  There were three days where I literally said "to hell with it" in the morning and slept in until the last possible moment to be able to drive to the U on time.... but fortunately each of those days I felt so damn guilty at myself.... and recognized also that I felt a heightened sense of anger, anxiety, and frustration from the b*llsh*t because I did not run.... that each of those days I forced myself to run in the late afternoon after I was finished at the U.  I do not like end-of-workday runs.... but these helped me to better see again.... how important a stress modulator the running has become for me.  

As far as my beloved, friendly pipes and pipe tobaccos.... the anger and frustration I have been experiencing are rather a double-edged sword.  On one level, the frustration and anger has me deeply craving the gentle flavors and gentle massage offered by indulging in the deep, dark, heavy pipe tobaccos that are so very pleasant.  But at another level, I have grown somewhat accustomed to digging in my heels regarding doing ANYTHING I like out of a reflex when angry or frustrated.  I first figured out this "digging in of heels" idea when I had to learn and figure out how to avoid eating high fat foods at family gatherings and parties....after I lost weight.  I used to get frustrated and upset because most parties DO NOT have a lot of healthy food options, and I would be stuck either eating things (I admittedly liked) that would have my BMI revert back to my earlier obesity or learning to be firm with myself about what I can do.   I think that same sort of "digging in of heels" has been occurring with my pipes.  I guess even though I desperately wanted to indulge, I also have been adamant with myself that I would NOT have such a beautiful thing as indulging in a pipe be brought about by anger and frustration.

Sorry for the data dump.  I actually have a helluva lot more to talk about, but this is too damn long already.  But, I had to get various thoughts out.  I *think* I am at a point where I can be back to regular posting.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger GaP said...

Good to hear that you're on the path to functional, Professor. Easier said than done...but it's imperative that you try not to take on the horrendous duo's energy/aura, general BS. I remember your previous writings about them. They seem like psychic vampires who thrive on this type of negativity. I often wonder WHY there are people like this. Yesterday, I WAS a person like that. But that is another story. And it's behavior that I strive not to repeat.
Keep well, Professor...

Thursday, 12 October, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Thanks for checking in. So sorry about the horrendous ones. It's hard to figure some people.

Thursday, 12 October, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Glad to see you back.

Sunday, 15 October, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm sorry about the department members and their attitudes. Your job is difficult enough without their roadblocks. About the family stuff, you already know that I sympathize.

Wednesday, 18 October, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home