The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, November 20, 2023

Steaks!


 

After lecturing for the last few hours on all manner of things:

  • In one class, I was discussing the physiology of female sexual morphology, and was discussing the hormonal development of the Graafian Follicle in the ovary as a means talking about the ovulatory cycle that regulates the timing of the release of the ova, and stimulates the development of the endometrial layer in the interior of the uteru.  In this new discussion, I also brought back and reiterated some earlier discussion about the three forms of orgasm in reproductive behavior (ejaculation - male; clitoral - female, and vaginocervical - female) and how they aided the spermatazoa to attempt to reach the ampula regions of Fallopian tube where the ova could potentially be fertilized. 
  • In my other class, I finished up a lecture on the dynamics of conversion of sound waves into neural signals generated in the Basilar Membrane of the cochlea of the inner ear, and then contrasted how in the semicircular canals the forces experienced by the movement of their endolymph would apply forces on the neural hair cells of the christa ampularis to allow the ear to perceive body motion.  I concluded by also describing how the gravitational forces experienced by the otolitic crystals atop of the otolithic membrane will generate neural impulses relaying information about body position as they distort kinocilia and stereocilia in the ear.   

But as I was migrating from one classroom to another on campus and then back to my laboratory, I was reflecting on the performance on Saturday.  Fortunately, as a whole the concert went very well, and I was able to navigate with reasonable success through "Excerpts of Polar Express."  The musicality of my being the train of Polar Express was not quite as good as at dress rehearsal, but it was more than passable.  Tonight, we have another concert of this same set of ~10 different songs.  The stakes are not as high, however, for we are playing at a retirement community tonight.... and with the smaller physical space, our amplitude needs to be far quieter.... it is easier to play the very rapid Polar express passage at this lower volume... so I am less nervous.

But the thinking of the "lower stakes" concert, had me imagine (as my mind often does) various homonyms of words..... "stakes" (the non-Moo-able type) lead me to think of steaks (the Moo-able form).  This had me think back to the last time I had eaten a steak, and I realized it was back in 1998 (that is 25 years ago!).  I was taken by one of my favorite Uncles, to a celebration dinner at the Knights of Columbus. The celebration dinner was for all of the "Past Grand Poobahs" and their guest.  I use "Grand Poobah" a bit facetiously and in reference to its use in the old cartoon, "The Flintstones".  The term "Grand Poobah" was the name given to the leader of the Men's Club in Jellystone (the fictitious town where "The Flintstones" was set.   My Uncle had been the "Grand Knight (the "president") of our Knights of Columbus for many years until he retired.  This dinner was for all the "Grand Knights" of the different Knights of Columbus organizations across our Diocese. My Mom & Dad always referred to this Uncle as the "Grand Poobah" ever since the cartoon was televised in the 1960s....in fact, all of us in the family did.    

For many years, my Uncle (logically) took his wife (my Aunt, of course) to this "yearly dinner celebration.  But for the last several years of his life, after my Aunt had passed away, he always invited me and encouraged me to go with him as his guest.  It was always wonderful to spend time with him, so I always said yes.  

He was always adamant about having me order the more expensive items on the menu too.... because he figured that was a benefit for the Past Grand Knights and their guest.  With his encouragement, I enjoyed my first gin & tonic (very pricey compared to the pop (soda) or beer I typically ordered), and of mixed drinks, the gin & tonic remains my favorite to this day.  Additionally, at these dinners, through his adamant encouragement, I had my first Filet Mignon.  For the several years I was able to go to this dinner with him, I always had gin & tonics and Filet Mignon (at his urging). 

I am not much of a steak person (I guess you figured that out, since I haven't had one in 25 years).  But, I have to admit the Filet Mignon was tasty.  However, I think many folks would cringe at how I asked for mine (every time)..... butterflied, "medium well" and with ample A-1 sauce on the side.  

Overall, beef is not my favorite food.  I think in the last 25 years, I have probably had beef likely less than 15 times.  I do not actively dislike beef (nor steak, I guess).  I just find that if I am ordering something with meat, I naturally prefer turkey, chicken, or fish.... yeah, yeah, I know.... fish is NOT meat during Lent, but I use meat in the biological sense.  And as most of you also know, I do not eat much turkey, chicken, nor fish anyway.  

The last year I was able to go to this celebratory dinner was in 1998.   He passed away a few months after that dinner.  

+ + +

  • Ran 10 miles on the track (~16 km).
  • I am trying to think through and reason a way to carefully enjoy a pipe occasionally again.  I just do not know how.
PipeTobacco
 

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We have the occasional roast, and one or two dishes using ground beef. We'll do kind of a round streak in the over every now and then. But pricey real steak? I don't know when.

Monday, 20 November, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I don't like steak so it's probably been more than 25 years for me. I don't eat much beef, but if I do, I prefer roast. Well-done with cooked potatoes, carrots and green beans.
You are one smart cookie! Your students must be in awe of you. I am.

Monday, 20 November, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home