The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Devil's Workshop



 


Perhaps the alliterative proverb is true:

"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."

I can only say that I have been in a frame of mind where I have been a) seriously considering a jaunt in my trusty stead 45 minutes away or so to the closest pipe shop near me, and b) seriously considering another jaunt to the cigar shop/lounge that the fellow at Mass mentioned as having a weekly gathering of grey-haired retirees (and perhaps others of similarly grey status, such as myself?). 

The pipe option sounds appealing in every way, for I know the place well, and do miss visiting the beautiful establishment that to me feels akin to a kid in a candy shop.  The cigar shop/lounge option, also has appeal.  Cigars are interesting, and though my prior indulgence was never more than very infrequent, the idea of a gathering of similarly minded souls simply enjoying and relaxing has strong appeal as well. I would relish doing one or the other.... or BOTH.

Yet, I have at least enough insight to recognize that this could be one helluva slippery slope if I were to sample from either establishment's wares. Although neither is CLOSE by... each is CLOSE ENOUGH by to facilitate a journey on a whim or in a weak moment.  And, I could envision myself falling into a myriad of whims and weak moments if I am not careful.

I so very much enjoyed the pipe I had on my father's 100th at the cemetery.  But, I am thinking/hoping that is NOT why the pipe shop trip and/or the cigar shop/lounge trip sound so incredibly inviting right now.  I prefer to think of it being my having idle time where I am not being productive.   

The little red fellow on one shoulder says... "Aw, go ahead!" whereas the other fellow on the other shoulder deeply intones, "Beware!".  

  • Hoofed out another 11 full miles (~18km) this morning! I am still delighted at how unencumbered I feel with running at the moment, by not having a deadline time of arrival to hit afterwards.  
  • I have been listening to "Bossa Nova" style music on Pandora quite a bit while working on my computer... rewriting syllabi.... yesterday and today.  I forgot how "youthful" a mindset it gives me.  
  • I really SHOULD try to force myself to do some strength training.  I could and SHOULD work on weight lifting to improve my upper body strength.  As we age, this muscle strength declines, and I should try to combat that.  My running has toned and strengthened my legs, so it is really just my arms and chest I should worry about.  I should be stronger to be better prepared if I need crutches or a cane in the future.  I did work at strength training for about a year before the pandemic.  I even had an undergraduate exercise science major student guide me on training (they are sometimes available as in that major, students can earn "lab credits" in their major by facilitating training of a volunteer "guinea pig" like myself.  I had been working with this fellow for about three months, and I had actually built up some strength where I was awfully damn close to being able to do completely unassisted chin-ups.  On the assist machine, I had worked my way down to only needing 5 pounds of assistance to be able to do three "reps" of 10 chin-ups.  Being able to do unassisted chin-ups were my "goal" with the trainer because they were always my nemesis as a kid back in junior high and high school.  And, right before the pandemic hit, I had a reasonably good chance of accomplishing that goal if I would have had another month or so to build up strength and tone, but then the damn pandemic hit and closed everything down, including my commitment to weight training.  The problem is TIME.  Yet, that is a sorry excuse if ever heard one.  Everyone has the same 24 hours, so it is my own fault if I do not do it. 
  •  More rodent and fly work today, and then perhaps if I can stand it... more time on the computer doing the minutia work of adjusting dates etc on all the materials for next semester.
PipeTobacco  

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, are you SURE which fellow on each shoulder is which? Maybe it's some joy-killing Pharisee on one shoulder shouting "Abstain!" in the hope of keeping you miserable, and it's an angel of mercy on the other shoulder reminding you of all the good you once joyously accepted from your pipes?

With the year coming soon to a close, have you thought about next year's running vow? From comments you've made throughout the year when health or weather situations have complicated this year's vow, I wonder whether for next year you should commit to number of minutes run, not necessarily the number of miles run?

Even if it doesn't involve a pipe, I hope you have some treat/reward planned for yourself whenever you complete your prep for your next semester. Maybe an indulgent and flavorful salad once you have time to put one together?

I hope you are happy with whatever decisions you make regarding your holiday treats and priorities. Even if it's not at the cigar shop, I do think you would be uplifted by some form of increased camaraderie, whether it involves fellow grey-hairs, or fellow Catholics, or fellow aficionados of the tobacco leaf. There's a time and place for stewing in your own private thoughts, but it's often a good idea to balance that with time shared with others. I hope your Christmas season affords you some of that, one way or another.

Tuesday, 19 December, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

You seem like you're in such great shape through your exercise and diet. I wish I had your strength of character and great habits!

Tuesday, 19 December, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

To respond to your comment about keyboards (I think it was you), I must say that the keyboard that came with my rather good computer seemed to be rather cheap. So, if you are in need, it is probably not worth waiting to see what accompanies your next computer.

Tuesday, 19 December, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

There is nothing you SHOULD do. I hate that word. You are already so disciplined.

Wednesday, 20 December, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home