The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, December 08, 2023

Even Though...


 

The decision to smoke a pipe at the cemetery when visiting my Dad on his 100th birthday was both a bit of a surprise and also a "no-brainer" action as well.  What I mean is that I actually had not been thinking a great deal about THIS YEAR being the 100th year since my Dad had been born..... I think the last time I had been thinking about this milestone was perhaps a little bit back in late August.  I always work hard to find a way to AT LEAST visit both my Mom and my Dad at the cemetery on their birthdays.  I go other times of the year as well, but I try to  make it a point to always do so on their birthday especially.  

With "100" being such a big milestone, one that I would never experience again, when I DID recall near his birthday that it was this "milestone" I also KNEW in my heart that it was a time where and an event where I SHOULD smoke my pipe, regardless of any other factors or impacts. I am glad I did so.  In doing so at the cemetery, I felt an even deeper sense of closeness with my Dad.  

PipeTobacco 

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Now let's hope, Professor, that you can revisit Iwan Ries before too terribly long. An annual pipe with your father is a wonderful tradition to have begun, but I hope you can find other happy occasions for indulging between those annual milestones!

Friday, 08 December, 2023  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

My mother would be 100 also this year. She was born September 16 1923.

Friday, 08 December, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

Perfectly appropriate indeed, PT. My dad would have been 95 in September. I miss him every day.

Friday, 08 December, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Good call, Mr Pipe.

Saturday, 09 December, 2023  
Blogger GaP said...

Entirely appropriate, Professor.

Saturday, 09 December, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home