The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, December 15, 2023

Horseshoes

 


I really need to get my new pair of running shoes.  Because my "shoe mileage counter" went on the fritz and I wasn't really paying close attention to it, I estimate I currently have between 1,200 - 1,400 miles (~1,900 - ~2,250 km) on my clod hoppers.  Most running shoe stores "suggest" you should get a new pair every 500 miles (~800km), but I am too damn cheap for that..... the shoes are awfully damn expensive (retail ~$125, but I look for "bargains" of ~$100).  I usually keep the pair AT LEAST 1,000 miles (~1,600km)... but even I admit my current mileage is pushing it.  I will have to figure out how to get (as inexpensively as possible) my replacement pair over the next few weeks.  

For the hoofing around that I do each day, the horseshoes I wear (running shoes) are important for my feet.  I ONLY wear them while running to try to extend their use.  And because of my large hooves (size 12 ; EU size 46), the size I need is sometimes rather scant.  The cantilievered way in which I strike the pavement because of my high arch makes me have a gait that results in supination style wear (basically the lateral/outside edges of my shoe wear significantly more than the medial/inside edges of my shoes) makes it so that I wear out the tread of my hoofers leading to a pattern that looks akin to this (these are not my shoes, but mine look pretty damn much like this if not a little bit more severe at the moment):

Unfortunately, another thing.... a bit of an "oddity" about my shoe wearing is that (unlike others in my family) I also wear out the INTERIOR of my shoes (running shoes, work shoes, casual shoes) quite readily.  I am not sure what it is about my feet.... for while they do perspire, many folks have their feet perspire as well.  But, for me, however, it causes a rather rapid degradation of the fabric and cushioning INSIDE the shoe.  In my work shoes for instance, both pair (a brown pair and a black pair) appear damn near brand new on the outside.  But the insides have been fairly shredded and worn out for at least two years now.  It is the same with all my shoes.  It has been this way my whole life, and it happens to every shoe I own.  

* * * * *

But, enough about shoes:

  • I did hoof out my 10 miles (~16 km) this morning.  Yesterday, I forced myself to hoof out 11.1 miles (~18km), but because I got up late (7:00am) and had a final in the later morning, I clomped out those 11.1 miles on the indoor track at the U in the late afternoon.
  • I am noticing considerable improvement in my ear, and this has led to reduced swelling on the side of my face, and also reduced TMJ symptoms now after having had some of the amoxicillin take hold!  It is a beautiful feeling have that discomfort and pain start to reduce!!!
  •  Grading is percolating along rather smoothly.... and although it may only be a pipe dream.... I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I *MIGHT* be able to get through all the grading and the number crunching where I could *POTENTIALLY* submit grades late this evening.  

This would, in beautiful times now gone by.... be the time where I would start the "marination" process for the grades I would give.  Typically, once I had the base scores, for more than a couple of decades, climb into my trusty steed and drive across town to my in-laws home and my father-in-law and I would would sit, talk, have a drink or two or three and smoke our pipes.  We would joke and laugh, and I would regale many stories of odd/interesting student behaviors during finals week with him.  And, depending on how convivial I felt after our afternoon of chatting, relaxing and piping I would determine if I might give a modest curve to one or more of my classes. I miss this process.

Hell, I am feeling a deep missing of my pipes overall.  The experience of my Dad's 100th birthday was so pure and true and wonderful.  Recalling the time I spent there, and the tasty flavors, textures, and the metaphysical and physical joys to my mind from that experience..... have been the primary memories I have been using to help guide me to a restful sleep each evening when I close my eyes.  

PipeTobacco  

 

4 Comments:

Blogger GaP said...

Professor...I, too, am frugal. When I need new walking/running shoes I hit up Goodwill or Savers. $20 bucks on average.

Friday, 15 December, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

Hoofing and clomping-I love the horsey metaphors. I've mostly given up running but I do love my Brooks Ghost which are also expensive. However, going cheap can definitely backfire which I learned through shin splints and foot/ankle issues. We have to know what brand, width and style suits our particular feet and gait. So glad that you're feeling better!

Friday, 15 December, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I'm not surprised your shoes wear out the amount of running you do!

Saturday, 16 December, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I suspected that I might be able to comment on yours because you have an old template. Apparently, I was correct. Anyway, for your shoes to last as they do, I feel that you must be carrying horseshoes somewhere on your person.

Sunday, 17 December, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home