The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

"Bad Boy"


 

Hah!  Josh, in a comment yesterday, suggested I should "be a bad boy sometimes". And, the very thought of it tickled me so much so that I grinned ruefully.  I do think there is some sort of mystique that is a truism where everyone at different times would like to be a "bad boy" (or girl) in terms of having a persona where they didn't really "give a damn" about what others thought and just become a wild, ornery sort.  I have often imagined being a rough-and-tumble biker sort of fellow, muscling my motorcycle across the country, stopping into every small town, and partying up a storm in various dives.... generally causing a ruckus of sorts with the town folks with my demeanor and attitude and devil-may-care attitude.  

The idea of a pipe smoker, like myself (er, I guess my FORMER (sigh) self), being considered a "bad boy" also was wonderfully fun to imagine.  For the many decades of my life, pipe smokers were generally thought of as the antithesis of a "bad boy", rather being a calming, thoughtful, "insightful" sort.  

In all my years as a rather frumpy, dare-I-say "nerdy" professorial sort, there has always been an admiration for the rougher personality types that are not a natural part of my own visage, nor demeanor.  Although, I can say it would be fun as hell to be able to be THAT for at least a period of time.  

Last night, I allowed myself the luxury as I nodded off to sleep, to imagine myself as burly, muscled, pipe-smoking biker "dude" just drifting across the landscape, taking and seeking pleasures and adventures as they came to me.  It was a very fun mental exercise.  I am not really sure if my wife would handle needing to become my "biker chick" or not, though.  :) 

* * * * *

Margaret and AC both also have given insightful comments regarding my post yesterday.  It does seem like I need to be making some sort of decisions in the matter.  I am very, very appreciative for all of the comments as I try to better figure this out.    

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Great pic, and it's fun to let your mind wander and to dream a little.

Wednesday, 28 February, 2024  
Blogger Margaret said...

Anyone who deals with students, bureaucrats, annoying colleagues, as well as caring for family and oneself is already a bad ass, in my opinion. PT=Pretty terrific!

Wednesday, 28 February, 2024  
Blogger Josh said...

Hey Professor - this gave me a chuckle today. I do remember you wrote some fiction a number of years back to the "bad boy" theme. Honestly, I didn't mean to chastise you; sometimes in trying to be good people, we neglect our own needs and desires. After so many years of reading your blog, I know that you are a very regimented person when it comes to your goals so if you feel like "scheduling" a pipe or two during the week, I truly believe you could stay on track and not fall off the wagon. Be that "bad boy" and enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, 28 February, 2024  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

There was no thought that you comment was chastising me at all! I very much enjoyed your comment and the thoughts it induced in me entertained me considerably! I thank you for your thought provoking comment!!!

Wednesday, 28 February, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home