The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, February 08, 2024

Close, But No Cigar

 

Well.... (somewhat) unfortunately, my jury number was again bypassed for today.... so while I was happy to NOT have to serve.... as I mentioned yesterday, if I HAD to serve at all, today would have been the best potential day to do so out of the lot because it POTENTIALLY meant I could mosey to the cigar shop the fellow from Mass visits and participate in the "Old Geezers Club" festivities that occur around lunch (if I had also been dismissed early).  So.... "close, but no cigar".  

It would have been a helluva lot of fun.  I have been imagining in my head the enjoyable camaraderie that likely occurs at this sort of gathering.  I am not sure when/if I will ever have a free lunchtime on a Thursday in the foreseeable future.  (sigh)

Even though it may sound like a bunch of carping on my part..... I can attest that the daily uncertainty of what I am going to do each day and when..... leaves me feeling awfully "damn dog tired".  This is a phrase I remember being used by some of my relatives when I was a kid, and I always found it alliterative, descriptive and fun.  So, I occasionally pepper it into conversation when appropriate and possible. 

Being "dead dog tired" is so TRUE, however, even though I have not yet had to report for jury duty.  The waiting until each evening (or the day of) to know..... drains me.

I ran another 11.5 (~18.5 km) miles this morning.  

I would so relish a pipe.  I so would feel invigorated by its comfort.  

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The saga continues ...

Thursday, 08 February, 2024  
Blogger Margaret said...

I've never heard that expression, just dead tired. Stress and uncertainty wear a person out.

Thursday, 08 February, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home