The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Rough Day


I am stupid.

You may remember a while back, perhaps a few months ago, where I talked about my dog, and her behavior that arose of her getting off the bed during the night and attempting to drink the glass of water I had on the floor by my side of the bed. 

After following through with my plan for a few weeks of putting my glass of water on the bathroom counter with the bathroom door closed, I drifted back into bring my water to the floor by my bed.  I do not even remember NOTICING I had reverted back to this behavior.  I believe I sort of forgot about what the dog had been doing because she stopped jumping off the bed during the middle of the night.  

So, for at least a month if not longer, the glass has been again by my bedside on the floor.  

You can see where this is going.  At ~2:30am this morning, my dog again decided to jump off the bed and apparently was drinking from my glass when she knocked it over.  

The noise woke me up and unfortunately I had to spend the next 30 minutes or so, wiping and cleaning up the mess.  The way that the glass tipped over had the water flow under the bed, and unfortunately, besides dust bunnies, I had several books, a few errant bite socks under the bed.  The biggest concern was trying to take care of and save the books.  

I can attest that I was quite angry and very, very frustrated.  I was cussing under my breath the entire time, and by the time I was done, I was wide awake and still rather angry.  

I desperately need the sleep I get.  So, this disruption at 2:30am was not appreciated and was not helpful in any capacity.  I TRIED to relax and TRIED to fall back asleep from ~3:00am to 5:00 when my damn alarm began to bleat at me. 

I am feeling so groggy, unfocused, and aggravated STILL.  I did run my damn miles.  But, I did not want to.  I did get to work on time, but I damn well did not want to go. 

I am just trying to figure out a way to ease myself out of this mood, so the rest of the day can be better.  But, I have so damn many things to do, that I cannot just stop and take a nap.  

What I would like to do:

1.  Grab one of my largest bowled pipes and very slowly smoke a bowlful of Prince Albert in it as I close my eyes purposefully lift up my eyebrows (scrunching my forehead) to relax the sleep-deprived "squinty-eyed" feeling my eyes have at the moment, and work to stretch and relax my neck and my shoulder muscles in a similar fashion,  all the while mentally trying  to disengage from the frustration.

2.  Have an iced glass of (diet) 7-Up with a shot or two of whisky in it (this was one of the preferred drink of my FIL)

3.  Lay down on the bed and sleep for a few hours. 

But, since the above 1-3 sequence is not possible, instead I will be:

1.  Doing more damnable writing of some of the background for the errant group's upcoming talk

2.  Waiting for my last class of the day to start (I have already lectured two classes).  

3.  Doing more writing after the class.  

I am tired.  I am just tired of working so damn much.

PipeTobacco

 

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

That is so frustrating! I understand about breaking habits though. Both your dog and you have them and this one is mutually unworkable. How about one of those athletic mugs with a drinking part that folds down? The dog can still knock it over, but it won't spill. Just a thought. I'm sorry you have to work so much; everything seems overwhelming when you're tired. :(

Wednesday, 21 February, 2024  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, you can still do #2 and #3, you just need to wait a few hours and treat those as a reward, not a palliative. You can even do #1 if you decide you're once again comfortable with it.

Do reward yourself, Professor, please, once you've made it through the stressful day. Even if the reward is only an indulgent salad, you owe yourself something relaxing and rewarding when the day is done.

Wednesday, 21 February, 2024  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I never thought I'd say this but maybe you should smoke your pipe. Life shouldn't be this bad.

Thursday, 22 February, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Pursuant to Margaret's thoughts, get a flask with a screwable top. I often have one of these lying about, and the water will remain colder that way.

Or . . . just picture the scene as a movie in your head (to someone else, of course) and have a good laugh.

Thursday, 22 February, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home