The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, March 04, 2024

The Roughly Nine Months


 

Roughly, nine months is the gestational period for human development in utero.  At the moment, we are close to that same gestational period in the U.S. for the election of our next president.  If this upcoming election cycle were to be equated with a pregnancy, I am of the opinion that this next nine months of election "pregnancy" will undoubtedly be amongst the most chaotic, destabilizing period of time I have ever experienced in all my many, many years. 

I never ascribed to the "never trust anyone over 30" crap that was a common phrase in the late 1960s.  It always rang of ageism to me then and still does.  Yet, ageism is again at play, this time universally applied to both presidential candidates.  Age is NOT the problem.  In my opinion, Nikki Haley is a loon for having that be the (feeble) focus of her (useless) campaign.  I do not think age discrimination is a good strategy.   

I cannot imagine how the next nine months will unfold with the two nominees. While I will assuredly vote for Biden, polls thus far show Trump ahead of Biden.  Various other thoughts:

  • If Trump were to win, it would be a new "Grover Cleveland" occurrence, only the second time where a president experienced two non "back-to-back" presidencies.
  • Regardless of who wins, polls suggest that little would change in the House or Senate, and basically we would stay mired in another four years of gridlock with minimal substantive work occurring.   

I think the next nine months may truly be the most chaotic time our nation has ever experienced.  

PipeTobacco
 

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I'm worried sick about what will happen after the election, no matter who wins.

Monday, 04 March, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have a hard time believing that those who voted for Biden last time would find cause to vote for Trump this time.

Monday, 04 March, 2024  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

My thought is that unfortunately tRump is ahead because I fear there is more Democratic voter apathy about Biden and fewer are excited enough to vote. tRump voters are just as excited it seems as before.

Monday, 04 March, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home