The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, May 02, 2024

Aggravation

I am livid, but I am going to let it go.  A student whose task was to keep a stock culture alive of nematodes did  not do so and they expired.  This is ~2 weeks before an important presentation.  I have scrambled to order a new culture (out of my pocket) and have it shipped to us.  It will arrive Wednesday.  I am not happy.  But, I am not going to let it ruin the rest of my day.

Things around at the U are just too damn intense and stressful and frustrating at the moment.  

Breath. 

Let it go.

There is no inherent value in being p*ss*d off.  Emotionally, I want to dress down the student because I am so frustrated and angry.  But, I cannot do that, as it a) is not the way I want to be as a person, b) it does not promote kindness, c) it does not really help in learning.  I would also hate myself afterwards if I did so.

I am hoping that the crunch he has put himself and his group into.... is going to be sufficient enough stress to have him learn a valuable lesson.  Perhaps after things settle down, I will more gently TALK with him about this experience.   

Breath.  

I can say with 100% certainty that in the wonderful "old" days, this easily avoided catastrophe sure as hell would have been a whole lot easier to grapple with  while having a delightfully smoldering pipe clenched between my chompers as I practiced my "breathing".

* * * * 

  • Because of all the end of the year "dog doo-doo" that happens.... and in 2024 this "doo-doo" seems to be happening at an exponentially and logarithmically greater level than most other years I have ever experienced.... I did NOT run today.  I had been ahead a bit, so I should theoretically be able to catch back up tomorrow.  But, that too was not a good way to have to start the day.
  • My wife and I have had (for ~6 months now) a pair of tickets for a date together in a nearby town to listen to a very nice classical guitar group.  It is likely to be filled with all sorts of "fancy" people dressed to the hilt.  I am not sure what my wife will choose to wear, but I will be decked out in the same, frumpy, tweedy attire I wear to work most every day.  But, it should be a pleasant evening.  I may even allow myself a drink.  The music should be wonderful.
  • I am still keeping my fingers crossed about next week's potential cigar/pipe experience.  I am HOPING I can still go, and that I will not be forced to stay at the U that day because of my recalcitrant group associated with the nematodes, who did not follow my guidance... to help them catch up and get their crap accomplished.  I so want to have the opportunity to go.  I still debate whether to join the "in crowd" with a cigar, or to be a "lone wolf" with my pipe.  
PipeTobacco
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You have a right to be fuming, but you seem to be tamping it down, which I guess is a good thing.

Thursday, 02 May, 2024  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Scream and yell all you want on blog. It a safe place.

Thursday, 02 May, 2024  
Blogger Margaret said...

I like what John did there-very punny. Oh, I am SO frustrated for you. It's hard enough to deal with others in group work; it's infuriating when they let you and the rest of their group down. The music group sounds excellent, and I hope you get to do your pipe excursion!

Friday, 03 May, 2024  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Hah! That was a wonderfully creative and pipe friendly comment!!!!

Friday, 03 May, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home