Cases in Point
In thinking about how retirement may proceed, I have been thinking some about how two of my sisters have retired. Each is a considerable contrast from the other:
One of my sisters retired, and she and her husband sold their home in the city to buy a home on ~10 acres with two additional out buildings (pole barns). They are almost assuredly not going to have grandkids as their only child married at a bit of a later age and his wife is older than he is, and both are really near the age border to have kids now.
This sister and brother-in-law are true "busy-beaver" types, who rarely if ever stop moving. So, now in addition to their cottage which they have been constantly puttering with and fixing up and planting for decades.... they are now doing similarly on a bigger scale at their "country home". And, they have also become ardent gardeners..... and damn good ones as well.... their garden spans ~ 1/2 acre and they have beautifully fenced it in (to keep out deer and rabbits). And, they have had the most wonderful success in growing their various plants to hang from fences (squash, cucumbers.... that sort of thing) or training the plants to grow with support of various fencing (monster sized tomatoes, etc). Their garden is as neat as a pin, with never a weed in sight, and the garden is extremely prolific as well. They report typically spending 3-4 hours in the garden each day during the growing season.
Another sister of mine has a different approach with her husband. They have a nice "country-ish" home, which is neat-as-a-pin too. They are not particularly garden-focused, but do plant pretty flowers around their home each year. Their major focus is on the grandkids (they have seven). The spend the majority of their time either helping their kids out with child care, or in going to a continual stream of school activities for the grandkids.
The above are just a couple of examples. But, neither is a particularly strong model for me. Gardening outside in the midday sun several hours a day does not seem like something I would relish (although I love that she shares her ample excess vegetation with us) as my skin burns readily. I could see myself being a deeply immersed grandpa.... but as I had mentioned, that is not appearing at least in the near time frame.... our kids, themselves, are not even settled in any appreciable way themselves yet.
So, those two convergent examples do not provide me much in terms of guidance. I will try to think of other retirees I know and continue to examine.
* * *
My wife and I have been in a flurry of house "dunging" this weekend. We cleaned out several closets, cabinets and cupboards removing several big, garbage bag size bags to a) donate, or b) dispose of. I am aiming to work more on tidying up and organizing the garage this afternoon too (so any more errant trash can go out with tomorrow's trash pickup).
Mass was joyful and helped me to better focus afterwards. My friend (the one who introduced me to the Retiree's Cigar Group) was there, and while my wife chatted with one of her friends, I chatted with Jim. He did not get to stay long at the group last Thursday, as he had a last minute appointment get scheduled (he was a bit grumpy about it too, only being able to stay at the RCG for roughly ~1/2 hour).
* * *
It is interesting that since my return from Nevada, virtually every night before I fall into sleep, I am re-remembering the tranquil joy and beauty of the bowlful of M58/SWR I was able to savor in the park. It remains so vividly sensorial to me. The textures, flavors, aromas were to me as I imagine a 3-Michelin Star menu tastes to a chef. And, the gentle nurturing of the mental pathways of my mind brought with the gift of that M58/SWR felt akin to a child on Christmas morning.
* * *
I am in the process of straightening my outer office in preperation for the start of the new semester. I need to tidy things, but also clean and organize materials so when the start occurs, I am able to simply "grab-and-go" into my professorial yammering mode.
PipeTobacco




2 Comments:
When I was widowed, a friend pointed out that there were many options for what came after. I've always remembered that and customized my own approach to suit my needs for company, outings and solitude. You will do the same with retirement!
Margaret is right. Just as in the rest of life, we all have our own path to follow.
When do your classes start. Grandkid's U doesn't begin until the 9th which seems late to me. Schools begin on the 2nd, which is earlier than usual.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home