Lab Cleaning
Today is the day I have set aside for cleaning and straightening of my major research lab. This is going to occur in a few minutes, as I spent a significant part of the morning working with the U's Grant's Officer to work through various aspects of anticipated grant expenditures during the Fall. I used to enjoy working with the Grant's Officer because she is a really nice person. But, my enjoyment for these meetings has been dampened a fair amount this last year or so because of a software program called:
WorkDay here is a link to their website.
I think I have written about WorkDay before.... they bill themselves as "...a unified AI platform built to serve your entire organization." But, it is complete and utter balderdash (I would prefer stronger, more accurate cuss words). I have yet to meet a person at our U who thinks WorkDay has HELPED improve things related to paperwork issues..... although I suspect there may be a few "higher ups" in U Administration and/or U Finances (who I try to avoid) who probably think this is the "cat's meow" because a) they themselves have to do less work, b) they do not hire as many folks as they used to.... to do these paperwork things, and c) they just enjoy making the real working-folk's (we faculty and staff) lives much more difficult and aggravating.
Again, I have NEVER met a person who has a positive thing to say about WorkDay. It saddens me and makes me just a bit suspicious of my beloved NPR as they have WorkDay commercials regularly now as the damn company has decided to be an NPR sponsor.
* * *
One of the things I was thinking about as I drifted off to sleep last night...... and yes, I was reliving in my mind that exceptional bowlful of M58/SWR again..... was how the whole experience felt so sensorially VIVID. It may seem very silly, but during my enjoyment of that bowlful, sounds were more musical/lyrical, views were more colorful and vivid, flavors and smells felt more robust, and even tactile sensations felt more substantive. It was such a beautiful gift.
* * *
When I ran this morning, I began a new process that I had heard about based upon a story from NPR where they were talking about research findings showing a significant value and benefit of what is called "HIIT" which stands for "High Intensity Interval Training". I had heard of this approach for a number of years (and when my youngest son was in Cross Country way back in high school, his coach made the team do this type of thing to improve their speeds in the team), but I never thought it may have benefit for me. But this research finding reported that HIIT training as a part of exercise was shown to offer benefits in metabolism and protein production and usage. Basically HIIT occurs if you push yourself in a series of all-out, short but extreme bursts of effort.
So, today, as I ran my usual 6.2 miles of late (10 km)...... I purposefully ran my typical pace for the first five miles (~8 km)... but then tried to do "HIIT" during the last 1.2 miles..... basically I would run like a bat out of hell (basically as fast as I possibly could) for about two minutes, then slow to normal pace for about 30 seconds, then speed back up to maximum for another two minutes...... and so on through that remaining 1.2 miles.
My findings..... yesterday.... wholly normal paced run.... heart rate during run averaged ~125 bpm.
My findings...... today..... in the "normal run" section.... heart rate during the run averaged ~127bpm.
today...... in the "HIIT" run period.... heart rate was hitting up to ~155bpm
In theory, this "HIIT" work will help my metabolism and will help me in a variety of other ways, so I am hopeful. I do not really care if I get "faster". I am looking for the health/wellness benefits. My resting heart rate yesterday was 49 bpm, this morning it registered as 48 bpm. I have also increased work with a BOSU and been adding in "jumps" more regularly... but I will have to explain those two another time.
* * *
I have some battery operated hand tools (circular saw, jig saw, drill, sander, reciprocating saw) that are considered "old" by tools with battery standards. I resent that connotation, however, as they are only ~ 20 - 25 years old. But, I had over the last year or two, not used them too often.... mostly because the damnable NiCd batteries have worn out and I was not wanting to investigate getting new batteries. But, finally, I have done so and low-and-behold they still make these batteries for the tools (Ryobi, 18V system) but the batteries have CHANGED to being two DIFFERENT forms.... option a) NiMH batteries, and option b) Lithium batteries. I am trying to learn the ins-and-outs of these two forms to figure out which I should buy. Any help and advice would be appreciated. What I have gleaned thus far is that the NiMH are very heavy (like the original NiCd)... BUT they can be charged in my original charger. They are also cheaper, but their charge does not last as well nor as long as the Lithium and they can potentially still develop a "memory" if you charge them improperly. The Lithum, by contrast are lighter (than the original NiCd), BUT they require a NEW charger since because my original charger would ruin them in short order. They are more expensive than the NiMH batteries (and again the added expense of the charger too), but the charge is suggested to last longer.... AND you can (theoretically) charge them and they will maintain that full charge for months until you use them. So, I am not sure which route to go.... I see benefits with both styles, but not sure which is best for me. It feels aesthetically kind of strange that NiMH batteries are the same orange/black color that the NiCd batteries were for my tools originally and look "normal" as part of the tool's blue/orange color scheme.... but the Lithium batteries are neon green/black.... which would look "strange" with my blue orange tools.... but that (at least alone) should not be the deciding factor.
PipeTobacco






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home