Meetings & More Meetings... and More Meetings
Today is officially (in my mind, anyhow) the least pleasant day of the academic year. It is our "Welcome" date at the U, where the day is FILLED non-stop with meetings after meetings after meetings from 9:00am until around 7:00pm. Added to this, is (not sure if I mentioned this or not).... but tonight I have the first Parish Council meeting of my being on the Council. I think I wrote sometime last week about my (mistaken) belief the meeting was LAST Thursday. I had my dates off by a week, and it is today. So, for me, from now (just going to head to a meeting), until I leave a bit early (~5:45pm to get to the 6:00pm Parish Council meeting).... I will be in meetings from 9:00am until probably 8:30 - 8:45pm tonight.
Yesterday, Pat commented:
"As for your potential trip to the U, it sounds as if you're saying that there isn't parking reserved for faculty."
In reality, for all concerned, the process the U has is better for everyone. We DO have reserved faculty parking lots. But, with a certain, large, subset of the dorms being located in central campus (not the periphery like the other dorms), for the three biggest days of "Move In", the two closest parking lots to my building are usurped to form a traffic cone infused undulating pathway for parents bringing in their kids and their enormous amount of stuff.... the opportunity to reasonably safely drop off people and supplies relatively near these central dormitories. Before this plan was enacted, hell, perhaps 20 years ago now.... the three days of "Move In" were more riotous and challenging as parental folks would double park all along various near roads.... on streets that were not designed for ANY parking. The traffic jams, the irateness of drivers and parkers and unloaders alike was not pleasant. So, even though it is still a challenge to navigate during these three days, I am "glad" (relieved?) my two primary parking lots are usurped during those days for "the greater good".
Off to my meetings.
PipeTobacco




3 Comments:
I remember during "move-in days" at PSU back in the early 70's, I used to take fiendish delight in looking as scruffy as possible and walking through the on-campus housing purposely to shock the neophyte parents of co-eds dropping off their precious ones for the first time at the big University. ;-)
Devilish, yes. I shouldn't be so fondly remembering such bad behavior! Well, we all did stupid things as youth!
I have always disliked meetings. They tend to go on and on and around and about with people enjoying listening to themselves.
I don't miss the Professional Development days we had to do before the school year started. I was itching to get into my classroom, not sit in meetings! Move in days were SO stressful for everyone involved; I like your attitude about accepting the parking lot take over for the greater good.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home