Unfocused
I am more than a bit unfocused today. I am trying to avoid going to the U as it is "move-in" day for all the kids in all the dorms..... so it is traffic-wise, pure chaos on campus. Some students wait until tomorrow or Friday, but usually a majority move in today.
I did run. I did send out a bunch of "Welcome to 'XXX' Course!" e-mails to all my students... reminding them of what books they need, what to do ahead of the start of class (get books, read syllabus, get a planner, think through their times and plans for outside of class study, exploring our LMS, etc.). I also reminded them of our building and classroom number and timing of the first class. I usually do something similar to this TWICE prior to the start of the semester..... the first time for the "eager beaver" types who want to get their ducks in a row well in advance (usually I do that e-mail in mid-to-late July. The one today is for the majority of students who typically do not look at things until perhaps a few days prior to the start of classes.). I will also send a similar e-mail to folks again after the first week is completed, letting them know that if they have not yet done "a", "b", "c" etc.... that they are AT SIGNIFICANT RISK for falling behind.... and this would very negatively affect their ultimate grade at the end of the semester.
But, that is all mundanity. It is "important" for my sanity though, to try to decrease (it never fully eliminates) the number of students who eventually come to me after missing a few due dates for various assignments.... crying "I did not KNOW about 'XXX' !!!!!" even though they damn well did IF they read any of these three different e-mails. But, again, even that is just mundanity related to the student experience when you have ~250 students.... there WILL always be a small handful of "headache-inducing" kids who exhibit a considerably "scattered" mindset.
So, whilst in the midst of the mundanity.... I have been just living in my thoughts and memories of pipes and pipe tobaccos. The flavors and textures of the M58/SWR bowlful in Nevada have been especially at the forefront of my mind probably because of their recent proximity. If I think hard enough, I can still in some ethereal way still TASTE the beauty of those two blends together.... they formed a truly lovely "culinary" fusion together. I can, with enough thought, still ethereally feel the comforting massaging of my neurons. It can be ALMOST like reliving that actual LIVED experience.... but... regrettably it also is NOT the experience. Sort of a yin-and-yang.... a positive and a negative simultaneously. I also would switch from time-to-time in my mind, to a few of the countless other pipe memories as well... each one sweet as a memory yet also bittersweet as they are only.... a memory. It is interesting to think of and recall how all those prior bowls of pipe tobacco were each a bit of a celebration, even though not every time did I recognize them as such.... as they were just a part of everyday life. Perspectives can be interesting in how they may modulate. I do not regret my Nevada adventure in the slightest, but I can attest it has ramped up my PCS score (the system I used to regularly report on) to around a 9 or so... many if not most days since I have returned. Prior to Nevada, my daily PCS score had been hovering around 5-7 depending on the day. After all this time, I can now at least accept that it is very unlikely I will ever have any extended periods of time with PCS's of 1-3. It does not seem like a reality I will/would ever experience.
So, what to do with the rest of my day? With my low focus, I will very likely keep my head well within the heady pipe tobacco memory "clouds" but I should also do some tangible things. Perhaps I will continue to work on and finish the tidying of my garage, or perhaps I may try to venture onto campus to do a bit of work with my rodents, flies, and worms.... if I can find a parking spot. Eventually late in the day, my wife and I have plans to swim. Tonight for dinner we are having toasted "BLT" sandwiches since it is tomato season for REAL home grown tomatoes from my sister. As I am not fond of bacon, mine instead should be listed as "TLT" sandwiches, as for me I substitute sliced deli turkey for the bacon my wife enjoys.
PipeTobacco



2 Comments:
I can now at least accept that it is very unlikely I will ever have any extended periods of time with PCS's of 1-3. It does not seem like a reality I will/would ever experience.
Professor, why would you even WANT to have "an extended period of time with PCS's of 1-3"? You have just written a beautiful testimony of your experience at a PCS of 9. Can you honestly say that you have felt such rapture in reflecting on your PCS 1-3 moments? As far as I can tell, if you wrote this post at a PCS of 9, then such a PCS enriches your day ALMOST as much as an actual bowl of pipe tobacco.
As for your potential trip to the U, it sounds as if you're saying that there isn't parking reserved for faculty. If so, that's disappointing and your administration should be fussed at for such poor treatment of its people. I can imagine that the streets would be clogged with vehicles as students move in, but I would have thought that parking would be no more difficult than usual -- the problem would be other vehicles on the roads.
Enjoy your TLT with the home-grown tomatoes, Professor!
Human nature never seems to change.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home