The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Fall is Here.... Whether We Are Ready Or Not



With the HIGH temperature today expected to be only 61 degrees F (~16 C), it already feels cool and fall-like.  It was only 43 degrees F (~6 C) when I did my run at 5am today so I had on sweat pants and a sweat shirt.  

It is always interesting to me that I am ALREADY feeling COLD at the above temperatures when they occur in September.  Yet, when they happen again in late April/early May.... the same temperatures feel rather "balmy" and I can even wear shorts.  

If we can muster up the ability to do so, I personally think it would be wonderful to adopt a "snowbird" type lifestyle in retirement.  "Snowbirds" in my region, will "overwinter" down South where it is warmer in Georgia or Florida or some similar area, but return to the North during the Spring/Summer/Fall.  

I have been thinking a great deal about my surprise find of the Union Leader pipe tobacco.  Some thoughts though.... since it was not a particular favorite of my Dad's.... I am wondering if I would find it disappointing?  Or, would the shear fact that it WAS my Dad's and I had this amazing discovery 30+ years after his passing.... make it a monumental and very special event for me to try?  And, it is also curious to me that since it is also hovering ~ 60+ years old itself.... that has me very curious for the "time machine" aspect of sampling said.  I will keep trying to figure out the best course of action I should take (if at all).

My wife is extremely busy this week at work (somewhat unexpectedly.... but somewhat because she forgot about several things).  This has me feeling a bit lonely.  Our plans to drive together at least some of the time this week have been discarded, and several of our typical evening routines have now been usurped in a variety of fashions.  

But, I will persevere, I guess.

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Val Ewing said...

I rather enjoy the cooler weather. No bugs. Winter, other than winter driving has always been a happy time for me. No yard work, more chores, but more free time to wander the forests.

Tuesday, 22 September, 2026  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Alexa is good for keeping me up to date, but I was curious about how cold it got last night, so I asked her. She said 22C/72F. Pretty funny. I asked bc to forecast said 6 but then I also got a frost warning and I wanted to know how close we got. I still don’t know, but I am going with the 6.

Tuesday, 22 September, 2026  
Blogger Margaret said...

There are snowbirds here too although our weather rarely gets brutally cold in winter. It does get gray and rainy though. Our springs and summers can't be beat and fall has been lovely so far. Come west!

Tuesday, 22 September, 2026  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home