The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, November 03, 2003

What a weekend. I mostly wish to sigh.... but do I sigh from frustration or from contentment? Both, and more it seems. Life never seems to follow a predictable pattern any more. When I hope to relax, I become busy. When I seek activity, I find boredom. Halloween was additionally a yin-yang sort of day. THe weather was nice, the kids were cute in their costumes, yet the meloncholy of the eve of All Saints Day made thoughts turn to the sad reality of those lost to death recently.

A new pattern I have noticed in my life.... I seem to be unable to adequately plan for how long somethiung will take to accomplish. I used to be quite good at these estimations.... and I would work hard to accomplish them. These days, invariably I presume I can accomplish something in a certain period of time, yet it takes roughly 3 times longer. Case in point.... I am writing a grant, and I estimated the grant would take 3 days to write. I am on day 8 now and not near finished. Sometimes I fear it is laziness, sometimes I fear I am getting more stupid every day, and still other times I believe I am simply inept. I hope I am not any of those things, but I think I may be.

I did not ever make it to the beloved pipe store this weekend.... no sampling of new leaf, no gentle conversation about life. And, on Saturday evening, without realizing it, I ran out of my beloved pipe tobacco. No suitable store was open and I thought I would be bored to tears without the companionship my briar provides until Sunday. However, I remembered a stowed away package of leaf received as a birthday gift some time ago. While not a stellar flavor.... it was better than being amputated from my briar on a Saturday evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home