The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004



An interaction with a student today is the inspiration for my essay....

In my neck of the woods, today was a very beautiful, fall day. The temperature was cool but comfortable and the sun was shining vibrantly. Leaves of the various woody trees and shrubs were showing a rangy pallete of colors for our amusement. As I had an hour or so break between my early morning class and a late morning class, I ventured out to a quiet, out-of-the-way patio area on our campus and sat outside. I brought two fine books to occupy my time (one a detective novel, the other a research tome on this history of endocrine research involving rodents). I also had a large mug of strong, black as coal coffee, and my beloved friend, the pipe (today: a Peterson full-bent filled with a robust burley mixed with just a hint of vanilla). I was enjoying my pipe, coffee, and books when a past student of mine came and we had this brief dialogue:

*****

"Hey Dr. *******, how have you been?" said the student.

I replied, "Hello Dylan, I am just enjoying the pleasant weather before I go back in to teach A & P." as I placed the stem of the pipe back into my mouth and drew in a small plume of the rich pipe smoke.

"That's not good for you." stated Dylan.

Not wanting to encourage more conversation of this nature, I stated, "Perhaps it is not the most healthful hobby for the body, but it is a delight for the mind."

Not taking the hint, Mr. Dylan then stated, "You must be addicted to the stuff."

Instead of replying to his statement, I said, "So, how may I help you today, sir?"

To which he replied, "Oh, nothing really, Dr. *******, I just took this short-cut on my way to my next class. I'd better get going anyhow."

*****

I often hear people talk about the addictive power of tobacco, but I am not convinced that it is true for all or any of us. A common dictonary definition for the term "addiction" lists a "compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance." Unfortunately, this very definition is rather tautological. Scientifically, addiction is far more precise.... it is a physiological need for a compound, that if not obtained will result in harm or injury due to its absence. But even the scientific definition is not perfect.... oxygen would fit into scientific definition, but I hardly think our need for oxygen fits the intended meaning for an "addiction". Therefore, since the definition is somewhat vauge itself, I shall try to discuss my own use of pipe tobacco, and you can let me know if it matches your definition of that word.

There are days when I willingly and gladly indulge in my briar pipe hobby, 14-16 times... meaning I will smoke 14-16 bowls of a variety of very fragrant pipe tobaccos... each of which has its own charms. Likewise, there are days when I may smoke only one or two bowls of the fragrant leaf. Even occasionally, I may go a day or two without a pipe because of one need or another. I must admit, on the days when I do not indulge in even one bowl of pipe tobacco, I tend to think about the hobby more and I may "pine" a bit for the beauty of that reddish ember in the wooden bowl, but in no way do I feel or believe I am addicted. It is a difference between enjoying and appreciating and wishing to engage in something (not addiction) versus needing to do something even if you mentally would rather not (addiction).

On an average day, I typically have 5-6 bowls of beloved tobacco, but that is only because I have a lifestyle and occupation where I have the time to enjoy fully those 5-6 bowlsful. If my lifestyle/occupation were different, I do not feel I would languish away in despair if I had a need to reduce.

But, on the other hand, I truly relish and enjoy, and feel true delight when I do indulge in my pipe. In some ways, the pipes I smoke are akin to a mistress to make passionate love to.... and fortunately a "mistress" my wife *will* tolerate [grin]. I can and have gone weeks without having a pipe... without worry or distress, but at the same time, if I were to tell myself I was banished from EVER having another briar pipe of tobacco, I would feel very sad, perhaps even quite isolated and alone. I likely would shed tears as a result of such a horrible notion.

Some times I will purposefully refrain from smoking my pipe for a few weeks so as to make my return to the pipe more intense and beautiful, much like it was when I was a young boy and first started the hobby. I often return back to those early days when I was just a little boy and first indulged in the pipe... it was and still is a very cherished memory.

I do not think I am "addicted" to pipe tobacco. I am "in love" with pipe tobacco. Any comments or further questions or ideas will gladly be answered.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home