The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

.
NPR

National Public Radio is by far the best entertainment experience I engage in. In total on an average day between driving in my vehicle, working in my office and lab at the University, or even working in the yard, I would guess that on average I listen to at least 3-4 hours of NPR each day. Sometimes I listen to the all talk version of NPR that features all sorts of wonderful programs (Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, to name but a few of the numerous programs of immense value), whereas other times I listen to the musical version of NPR (our musical station plays primairly classical with a modicum of jazz thrown in). I am never disappointed in NPR... well, except perhaps in one program.... Garrison Keillor's program. Please do not get me wrong, there are a few aspects of his show I find enjoyable (Guy Noir, for example), but unlike the otherwise mostly fresh and tightly organized shows on NPR, Keillor's program seems far, far longer in time than it is worth, and far, far less entertaining than it should be for the amount of time it is on each weekend. When I am out and about on the weekend hours when Keillor's program is on, my radios' tuners get their only weekly exercise as I feel driven to switch the dial after roughly 15 minutes of the Keillor program.

Overall, though, NPR is a national treasure.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home