The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

.
Electric Sun

The results of the "experiment" yesterday (basically having my wife turn on all the lamps in the bedroom when she arises (about 1.5 hours before I do on Wednesday) have been very positive. I am a very heavy sleeper and do not even remember my wife turning on the lights (total wattage of 300, from a total of three lamps). When my alarm went off at 6:30, I was able to ease much more easily into wakefulness than I had for several days previous. Although one day is not definitive proof, I am anticipating similar results as I continue the practice.

I am also fairly comfortable that my theory about the light and the pineal glad is correct. Even though the light I am exposed to is incandescent, enough of the light energy reaches through my eyelids to send signals down my optic nerve to stimulate the pineal gland. This in tern regulates my wake cycle so that my body prepares for a new day. The current opinion for treatment of seasonal affective disorder suggests you need far higher wattage (in the neighborhood of 1000 watts or more and the light source needs to be the more penetrating flourescent variety to have effect. I think I will continue to have a positive effect. It does make me wonder, however, if my outcome WOULD be further enhanced if I were to create one of the typical 1000 watt light banks? It will be worth pondering as it is a long winter coming.

Additinally, I met a fellow at the U today whom I have known for several years, and only today did I learn that he too was a pipe smoker. It was interesting to discover and chat with him the mutually enjoyed hobby.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home