The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, April 30, 2007

.
Crabgrass & Picker Bushes

It is the time of the year again when I *should* be getting started with yard care duties. Because of my biology background, I have purposefully selected to refrain from virtually any use of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, etc on my lawn. Therefore, the lawn is certainly not a "showpiece", but in past years I have had what I consider an attractive lawn.

I was never one to be overly self-conscious about the lawn. However, when my father passed away in 1994, I became the sole caretaker of my mother and fathers land. They had two acres of land (my father always loved having a larger property)and to honor my parents, I dived headfirst into becoming meticulous and exacting in lawn care... first at my mother's home and then also at my own home. I spent numerous hours weekly in grooming the lawns, again without pesticides, herbicides, etc. For me, it was a way to honor my mother and my father. I kept the yard and exterior of the house in as good a shape as I could muster so my mother would not have to worry or fret about these matters.

When my mother moved into my home five years ago, I upped a notch the care I gave to the yard because it made me happy having my mother see the yard look pleasant and attractive. Since she did not get out much, her picture to the world entailed the windows of our home, specifically a pair of large patio doors in our family room. I tried to keep the view as attractive as possible for her.

This year, I feel very ambivalent. I should have laid down seed to cover bare spots several weeks ago. I should be and should have started digging out the picker bushes that have sprung up this year and I should be feeling more attentive and active in my efforts. Thus far, I have done virtually nothing. The lawn already needs a trim and I have done nothing to prepare for the task.

I feel a loss in motivation. My prior motivation was to feel the sense of happiness such activity brought my mother. My wife is not overly interested in the lawn and therefore does not feel much differently than I do about it. So, it is as if I have lost my lawn muse, so to speak. I know I will get to it. But it seems more drudgery than ever before. I miss how I felt enthused about the task previously. I am not sure if I can get that back, or if I can, how.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home