The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

.
Three Scenes of Death

If my last evening is any indication, today will be a bad day. I hope it is not so.

I awoke roughly around 3am from a nightmare where my family had purchased some hardwood flooring planks and they were sitting in our garage. In this nighmare, an unknown assailant broke into our home and took some of these planks and carved them into spears and began to systematically kill each of us with these spikes. I was last, after having found everyone else, and as I raced out to call emergency services, the attacker began to thrust his spear at me and I awoke.

At roughly 5:30am, I awoke from another nightmare. This one was more disturbing in that it was one of those dreams that seemed so true and so real that you were not sure if it was a nightmare or reality. In this nightmare, one of my oldest friends, Joe, died after falling off a roof of a home he was installing a new roof upon. In the nightmare, I did not immediately learn of the death, but instead heard of it the day following the accident, when it was mentioned on the radio newscast.

These are the first "dreams" I have had and can recall since my mother passed away. They were exhausting.

Finally, when I awoke for good this morning, I turned on NPR for a few minutes as is typical for me, to help me awaken and start the day. Within a few moments, I hear on NPR that the author, Kurt Vonnegut, has died from injuries suffered in a fall. This death saddens me, for I have appreciated Mr. Vonnegut's work greatly. I was actually fortunate to attend a university presentation of his in the mid-late 1980s and it was quite enjoyable.

This has been my morning thus far. Please hope and pray for me to have a happier day with safety for me and my loved ones.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home