The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

.
Travel

We took a drive half way across the state today to visit some of my wife's side of the family who lived farther away. It was a very nice time. The festivities were held at the house of the daughter of one of the elders of the family. She and her husband had begun a odd, yet very interesting house renovation project. Even though they had a home previously, they found this odd property that had a chimeric blend of two separate houses together into one. Rooms jutted out from all over the place, and there were added on floors in some regions, mergers of the two homes by long hallways, and every sort of mish-mash you could imagine. It is an intriguing project indeed. When they get the project done, the house could be stunning and amazing. I admire their eagerness to take on the effort.... it is enormous... and is far beyond what I could bear to live through. They sold their other home and live in this other project home during the renovation.

I do not have the right mental temper to be able to live for months and years in the midst of renovation. I need a comfortable, ordered space to thrive mentally and emotionally. Do not get me wrong... I think renovation work can be exceptionally fun and rewarding... I have worked on many different renovation projects over the years. But, and this is a BIG but... when I work on renovations... the room or space that is being worked on by me is isolated (by tarps, by plastic on the walls or doors, or some other means... and the room/space ceases to EXIST in my mind as part of our living space UNTIL the renovation is complete. Even the idea of renovating and living in the same spaces continually, literally would drain every ounce of energy from my soul. If I were renovating the family room for instance, I would seal off the room and move our family room into some other space for its temporary place. I could not bear the other method... to fix some things in the room, then go and "relax" in the same space with still further work to do. It would drive me up the walls... for instead of relaxing in the space, I would only be able to focus on what work I needed to do next in the room. It would drive me to distraction.

I think I shall go check my rodents in the morning. I have not been to the U since Sunday. I will probably have to top off their water bottles, they may be getting close to being on the low side.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home