The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, January 28, 2008

.
TCM

I am not sure I should watch Turner Classic Movies any more. Fortunately, this past evening, I did NOT become very sad and weepy while watching one of the films (as I did while watching "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" last week. But I could sense myself getting very close to that point.

I believe it has to do with the history behind the films.... and history in general. It may seem quite odd... it actually seems odd to me, but since my mother's passing in March, my interest in, and my pursuit of the study of history has waned to virtually zero.

Previous to my mother's passing, I relished the study of history... be it history of science, history of different eras, and history of the "famous" in the form of biography. I have a vast collection of at least 50 books about Darwin and roughly 60 about Hemingway (a favorite of my father as well as of me). I have biographies of a myriad array of figures of interest to me... scientists (the aforementioned Darwin, plus Pasteur, Lorenz, Tinbergen, Skinner, Cajal, VonFrisch, Einstein, as well as others), authors (again, the aforementioned Hemingway, plus Steinbeck, Faulkner, Grass, Huxley, Verne, Wells, Melville as well as others), plus inventers, painters, sculptors, and the list goes on and on. I have always LOVED biography and history of people. I also have books about products of history... cars, airplanes, musical instruments, radio, television, and the list goes on and on and on. In fact, I would say that far more than half of my very large library is in fact books of a historical nature.

Yet, my interest as of now, is zero. I do not find the deep pleasure in reading about history or historical figures. I feel indifferent, and uninterested.

It is a very big change for me.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home