The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

.
Exercise Day 171

During the last few weeks of emotional strain, there were NUMEROUS times when I almost "fell off the wagon" so-to-speak, and ALMOST did not take my walk. Yet, I can report to you today that my progression remains intact. Today is the 171st day in a row that I did indeed walk my multi-mile walk. Even though in comparison to the hardships I have had to deal with, my walking was indeed inconsequential, I am still very glad I have stuck with it.

I *know* for me, that if I were to take a single day off, and have a break in that progression of the numbers upward (I would have to start over at zero), I would have broken the spell in my mind that keeps me motivated enough to do the walk even when I am hurting emotionally. I think there is a very high probability that if I took off a single day, I would then be likely to start taking off two or three days a week and within a matter of weeks I would not be walking any longer.

If I did not walk, I would revert to my old behaviors and not feel as good physically as I currently do. It is not something I wish to happen.

In an effort to keep me more firmly motivated, I am contemplating one or more of the following endeavors:

1. Preparing to run/walk in a regional 10 km road race.

and/or

2. Beginning a "counting" of regular weight training in the gym.

and/or

3. Planing a "walk around my county" sort of sorjourn over a period of two weeks (it is roughly 130 miles to walk around the entire perimeter of my county) during the Summer.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home