The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

.
Rough Sunday

I wish I could understand emotions better. After a wonderful Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, Sunday turned into a horror. My wife was in a bad mood for reasons she does not wish to explain to me.

I went for my early morning walk and then drove my truck down to get bagels, cream cheese, hot cocoa, and some soft-serve ice cream for a special treat on Sunday evening. Upon my return, I noticed my wife was acting "in a mood". I asked her to come sit with me on the couch, and I asked her, "What was wrong?" She said "nothing" and didn't seem to want to discuss it. So, I worked on preparing breakfast, and then she and I sat down again and we discussed the plans for the rest of the day. Basically we said we would work together on making dinner for the evening, then we would work on cleaning the house, and then we would go to the banquet with my mother-in-law & father-in law for our bowling team as it was the last day of bowling.

Well, we ate and had a very good breakfast. I helped clean up, and then started working on the vegetable rice dish I was planning to accompany dinner. My wife went off elsewhere. I went to her and reminded her we were planning to work together to get food ready. It was then that she snapped at me in a way that I find VERY, VERY upsetting.

I have learned over the years that my natural inclination at this point is to sulk and become angry quietly in the corner. However, I did not do that. Also, I did not get angry and yell or holler (which I have tried in the past, which also does not work). What I did do, was tell my wife to come with me privately to our bathroom. I was hurt, angry, and on the verge of being livid. But I spoke to her and chose my words carefully and told her that I did not like her snapping at me. I did not feel it was justified or fair. And I told her it made me feel hurt and angry.

Sometimes, when I try to be as upfront and careful about my words this will work and things improve. Unfortunately, they did not. I am still in amongst the chaos at this time.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home