The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, October 25, 2010

.
Motions & Potions



After a rough weekend of a lot of emotions, which were sad, I am again just in the middle of the work week at the U. Today has been reasonably productive, and not overly stressful. I have enjoyed myself this afternoon and evening hanging around with my kids.

In terms of my new pipe efforts, I believe that cold turkey is not workable for me at this time, but also neither is my trying to immediately go into my hoped for eventual outcome of smoking my pipe only 2-3 times a week. So, since many different psychological/educational texts talk about learning to unlearn, that is the approach I am taking at the moment. Today, I started by refraining from my pipe until 3:30 in the afternoon. In effect, I have cut out roughly 1/2 of my typical indulgence. I have kept my indulgences in the afternoon and evening like typical (3 pipes). Oddly, this seemed easy. Easy enough that I questioned myself if I was making progress or not. But, a reduction in 50% IS progress. But because I do not feel it is a hardship, does that mean it is NOT progress? Perhaps this is just the path that I am looking for? I am in a process of unlearning my old patterns, but I am unlearning them in a manner that does not (thus far at least) casue anxiety, or discomfort?

So, I am still unsure if I am progressing or not. Is there a possibility of gain WITHOUT pain? To this so flies in the face of the old adage itself... No pain, no gain. I do not know what to think at this point. But, I will try to mimic today's pattern tomorrow. Perhaps I will know more of what I think about this then... and will know better if my "gentle" approach is worth pursuing or if I should be more of a dictator to myself and "feel the pain".

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger MRMacrum said...

Sometimes professor I think you need to switch off the analytical machinery that seems to whir 24/7 in your brain. A cut of 50% is definitely a step towards progress. Maintain it for the next say 3 weeks and you will have made major strides. The fact that it does not seem like a hardship is just icing on the cake.

Tuesday, 26 October, 2010  
Blogger BBC said...

Has it ever fucking occurred to you to just be you?

Tuesday, 26 October, 2010  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Interesting point, very honestly, Billy. Sometimes I *do* think, ah, to hell with it, I'll just do whatever comes to mind as it happens. But that sort of mindset is not something I am used to having or holding onto. Perhaps I should strive for that. Perhaps it would be easier, and potentially more enjoyable as well. Just being in the moment is not a normal way of thinking for me, I guess.

Yet, don't you ever wonder about who you are compared to whom you could or should perhaps be? Or is that "whiring of analytical thought" perhaps a detriment, or a problem, or a curse?

Wednesday, 27 October, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home