The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

.
Mildly Interesting Observation



I am now proctoring my first exam of the semester, and as I watch the kids struggle through the exam, I find it interesting how strong a desire I have currently to smoke my pipe.

I typically do not feel this sort of "romantic" longing and desire to smoke my pipe, for I am only infrequently in a situation of this sort. In most of my day-to-day activities, I am fairly busy and also fairly free to do what I want. So, I will occasionally smoke my pipe during the day, although there are many days when I am busy and active all around campus where I do not smoke my pipe until I get into my truck and leave for the day to go home. My "longing and desire" scale does not seem to relate to how many pipes I have had during a day, but instead seems to relate to how much "thinking time" I have. When I am busy and rushing around, my mind is task oriented, but when I get time to think, contemplate, and hypothesize... that is when my desire for the beauty, charms, and camaraderie of my pipe is strong and vivid.

So, here I am with an hour to be quiet and contemplate (I am proctoring an exam), and I day dreaming about when I will be able to enjoy a pipe later today. The sense of yearning is palpable and pleasant.

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

As things get more stressful on this rock you will find yourself craving that prozac more often.

Wednesday, 22 September, 2010  
Blogger BBC said...

You smoke or you kiss tits, and tits are a pain in the ass to get along with anymore.

Wednesday, 22 September, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think boredom causes all of us to turn our thoughts to things we like to do. With you it is smoking the pipe, which comes with a baggage of other pleasures, like peacefulness, quiet thought and reflection.

As for the poor students, being one myself, quit making the tests so hard. ;)

Thursday, 23 September, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home