The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, March 03, 2011

.
Sitting Here...



As I get older, I see a trend in me that is surprising to me. I have just started to proctor my endocrinology exam and for the next two hours, I will be sitting here while the students fuss and fidget and write and write until their hands cramp to complete their exam, hopefully by the end of the time I have allotted..... two hours. While I typically enjoy proctoring exams because I can get caught up on some work while it is quiet, or I can play if I am not overly busy... I am also finding (especially during the last few years) that my ability (actually willingness would be a better word) to sit still while the students take the exam is declining.

I am so very used to moving and jumping around and being all bombastic and dramatic in the classroom during lecture so I can make key points, so I can keep their attention, and to "entertain" them (or at least entertain myself" that sitting for these two hours is becoming surprisingly more challenging.

So, what have I been thinking about you may ask? Not surprisingly, it seems when I am bored or fidgety, my mind drifts to pipes and pipe tobacco. I have been daydreaming about how I would like to be smoking my pipe at the moment. It is an interesting notion to think about. I regularly refrain from my pipe for many hours, and as long as I am enjoying the activity, or am busy, or mentally focused... I give my pipe nary a thought. But if I have a lull in activity, or if I am bored, it becomes a primary focus. Perhaps that is a more valuable insight for me to keep at the front of my brain if I take another stab at reducing my consumption of the beautiful pipe tobacco leaf.

I shall contemplate that as I sit here, twiddling my thumbs, as I wait for the students to finish.



PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

my mind drifts to pipes and pipe tobacco.

Let your mind go where it wants to, right or wrong in others minds, that is where it wants to be.

Thursday, 03 March, 2011  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

Lapses, inactive moments just cry out to be filled. Reaching for tobacco, a drink, or some doob is a common way to deal with it.

Saturday, 05 March, 2011  
Blogger zirelda said...

Love it. I often have to sit through meetings and find I really really really don't like it.

Saturday, 05 March, 2011  
Blogger Dirk said...

Do you ever place your pipe in your mouth without actually smoking? Could you do that in class?

Dirk

Tuesday, 08 March, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Dirk, I believe that he is too busy sticking his foot in his mouth. :-)

Wednesday, 09 March, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home