The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, December 12, 2011


.
Trying to Be the "Better" Me

I have been thinking about my efforts to try to be a better person. In general, I think I am "ok" as a person, but, there are PLENTY of things I could do to be a gentler, kinder, more helpful, and more caring.

However, because a part of being a better person involves being willing to be open to others, I find one of the most challenging aspects for me personally in trying to be a better person is maintaining that philosophy in my mind all during the day. What I mean is the following:

1. I generally *know* what I *should* do to be a better person.

2. When I try hard, I *can* be a better person.

3. When I am *not* focused on trying to be a better person, my mind easily drifts to other pursuits and I can easily fail.

4. What I need to figure out is how to maintain a sense of willingness to continually be a servant to others all the time. It is when I serve other's needs that I am being who I *can* become.

It is a profound and important lesson. But it is so damn hard to maintain. I want to do better.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buddhism 101, my friend. Right thinking, right action. Do the right thing. Leslie/GrubStreet

Monday, 12 December, 2011  
Blogger Mr. Charleston said...

It's a Catch 22 kind of thing. In order to be a better person you have to open yourself to others whereupon you are immediately shat upon leading to the natural self-preservation reaction of not trusting anyone anymore. Not to mention being pissed off after being pissed on. Then there's the whole "Do unto others before they can do it unto you" thing. Being a better person is not for wimps.

Monday, 12 December, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

but, there are PLENTY of things I could do to be a gentler, kinder, more helpful, and more caring.

It's been my experience that when you are others take advantage of you.

So now I just be me and if others don't like that's just tough shit, I still have plenty of friends just being me.

Monday, 12 December, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Buddhists are sure weird fucks.

Monday, 12 December, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home