The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, July 20, 2012

The Pipe


I am considering again, choosing to refrain from smoking a pipe.  I know it will not be today.  But my mind has been gnawing at me about the matter and I am once again thinking about how to proceed in a successful manner.   Three options seem most likely at the moment:

1.  Quit completely, quit "cold turkey" and that will be it.  This is probably the simplest method, but perhaps the most difficult one and the one that is potentially going to make me somewhat cranky for a while.

2.  Quit smoking the pipe and substitute some of the nicotine gum for a spell.  This seems only a minor step less difficult than #1.

3.  Quit smoking the pipe completely EXCEPT one day a week (most likely Friday, so I can continue indulging in the pipe and libations with my elderly father-in-law).  This is obviously not exactly quitting, but it would be a) a very significant reduction in my pipe smoking, and b) perhaps the way that I can perhaps more successfully move to #2 or #1 above at some point.  The disadvantage that I could see is that perhaps after going a whole week without my beloved pipes, indulging with them on one day will only set up a cycle of my missing them with the same sort of intensity every single week.

I am not sure what I am going to do, or actually when I will do one of the above.  It will not be today.  And, yes, I am going to head over to my in-laws this afternoon for pipes and libations.  So, that will be very pleasant.

After exercising (walking and the gym), I have been working with some of my animals in the lab this morning.  It has been a pleasant, quiet, but productive morning here for me at the U.

PipeTobacco

7 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

I've managed to cut back on my smoking, most days anyway.

Friday, 20 July, 2012  
Blogger austere said...

and as a scientist what would you back?

Friday, 20 July, 2012  
Blogger Lynx217 said...

I would suggest cutting back slowly, as in weaning, so that your withdrawal symptoms and your cravings aren't as bad. Cold turkey sets you up for failure because the desire is just so immense. And remember, if you fail, try try again.

Friday, 20 July, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I would suggest that you just sit back with a pipe, some good tobacco, a book, and enjoy your life.

Friday, 20 July, 2012  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your articles don't displace around the bushes correct t to the part.
bull smoke review

Monday, 27 August, 2012  
Anonymous www.hcg1234.com said...

Roll your own tobacco, also referred to as make your own tobacco, is more finely chopped than tobaccos used in pipes, making it easier to roll into a tight cigarette. Due to higher taxes on roll your own tobacco, however, pipe tobacco is often available at a tobacconist for a much lower cost than the roll your own variety. Thanks.

Wednesday, 10 October, 2012  
Blogger santa said...

Even the most primitive form of smoking requires tools of some sort to perform. This has resulted in a staggering variety of smoking tools and paraphernalia from all over the world. Whether tobacco, cannabis, opium or herbs, some form of receptacle is required along with a source of fire to light the mixture. Thanks.
Regards,
www.ipc-athletics.org

Monday, 29 October, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home