The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Hedonistic B*llsh*t


I think I was not mentally prepared for yesterday.  I ate, drank, and smoked a helluva lot:

Since I lost my 100 pounds, roughly 4 years ago, I have been very consistent in being careful around holidays to eat SENSIBLE amounts of most "treats" and to fill up on healthier foods.  This would mean I would typically pick one or two treats I enjoy (like one REALLY good cookie, and one piece of my mother-in-law's wonderful fruitcake) and that would be it.  Unfortunately, that was not what I did yesterday.  I ate at least 12 cookies (most of them rather wretched, a lot of candy, three pieces of pie, and 1/4th of a fruitcake.  This was in addition to regular food. 

In terms of drinking, I did not have any alcohol (wasn't in the mood).  But, what I did do was drink 4 actual sugary drinks (punch, mostly).  The thing of it is that I don't like sugary drinks anyhow.  I never drank them even when I was heavy.  But I drank them yesterday.

I smoked my pipe six different times yesterday.  While that wasn't my full-bore normal smoking rate from before November 26th (I estimate I averaged 8 bowls a day prior to that date), it was a helluva lot more than I have smoked any day since the 26th. 

******************************

And, you know what..... I feel like 100% absolute CRAP today.  I feel sore in the muscles of my arms and legs.  My chest feels congested. I have a headache.  I want to sleep all day.  And the hell of it is that I WANT TO EAT MORE OF THE CRAP.  I WANT TO DRINK MORE OF THE SWEET SH*T, and I WANT TO SMOKE BOWL AFTER BOWL OF PIPE TOBACCO.  It is such utter nonsense.  It is completely ludicrous, and it is annoying as hell. 

What I think happened is the perfect storm of the following:

1.  Lots of unstructured time (which I feel uncomfortable with). 
2.  Lots and lots of company (which makes me feel rather chaotic after a while).
3.  Little, if any control over the day (meaning, lots of sitting around and waiting, or sitting around making small talk).
4.  Lots of noise (never good for me).
5.  TWO different lifestyle patterns I was working on simultaneously (food & tobacco), without having given enough thought or planning to either one about how they a) might affect each other, or b) how to plan for each given the organization of the day.

******************************

Well, enough complaining about it. It was a bad day in regards to food and tobacco.  It was a nice Christmas overall.  But I am aggravated at myself for my foolish failures.  I did not adequately prepare myself for the day.  In hindsight, I probably should have declared yesterday a "special event pipe smoking day" a few days in advance.  Planed for enjoyed, and limited myself to 2 bowls.  With that,  I would have probably been better at keeping the food consumption to a more normal holiday level too.  What I did not do was think it through enough.   It was foolish as hell.

But, I shall not kick myself in the hind quarters too much more about it.  The better step I can take is to fix it today, and get my j*ck*ss*d stubbornness back into play.  I already walked an extra two miles beyond my typical five miles this morning.  I am going to flush my body with a lot of extra water, and good, wholesome, healthy food as well.  I believe I should be able to shake off the rough physical feelings from my idiotic hedonism yesterday by the end of the day, and be back on the track that actually makes me feel better. 

PipeTobacco

Today's (Wednesday's) Goal = 0
Yesterday's (Tuesday's) Goal = 0 bowls
Actual consumption (Tuesday) = 6 bowls

7 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

Hard for most folks to control themselves on that day, we like to indulge in our habits and hobbies.

I haven't been interested in sweet drinks for years and other sweets don't much interest me either most of the time.

I do keep some chocolate candy here but haven't opened the last box I bought. What I would like right now is a good tuna melt or french dip.

But I wouldn't enjoy it, I'm getting a cold (sounds like you may be also) and need some homemade chicken noodle soup.

Just before bedtime I'll abuse it with some rum, it won't help the cold but I won't give a shit as long as it puts me to sleep for a while.

Oh well, buck up and keep slogging along.

Wednesday, 26 December, 2012  
Blogger BBC said...

I dare say that smoking becomes more of a bad habit than a hobby.

Wednesday, 26 December, 2012  
Blogger Doc Teri said...

I'm smoking too much today...but will get back "on the wagon" as soon as I can...I'm allowing myself a day or two of human frailty....

Wednesday, 26 December, 2012  
Blogger BBC said...

I'm allowing myself a day or two of human fucking up. Maybe when the new year rolls around I'll tackle it again.

Wednesday, 26 December, 2012  
Blogger BBC said...

I'm going to whine because you didn't do a Thursday post and I came here 15 fucking times looking for one.

Friday, 28 December, 2012  
Blogger Doc Teri said...

Getting worried about you here, Pipe!

Friday, 28 December, 2012  
Blogger BBC said...

Yeah, I hope he's okay also, but he does chill out at times and the fucking ingrate doesn't let us know he's going to do it. :-)

Friday, 28 December, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home