The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Ravi Shankar






I had been thinking about this post for the last week.  One week ago today, Ravi Shankar passed away.  He was 92.  I was introduced initially to Ravi and his work in a somewhat indirect way, through the listening to George Harrison's song, Within You Without You on the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper Album.  While I (just like most of the time)  liked this album by the Beatles, the sounds of the instrument that was featured in Within You, Without You grabbed my attention much more strongly.  It was the first time I had really heard a sitar.  I thought the sound was absolutely wonderful and began searching for more information.  This of course, lead to my finding out that Ravi Shankar was the guide/instructor for George Harrison as he wrote and played this song. 

Well, as I ended up hearing and buying albums by Shankar, I grew more and more fond of the traditional music of India and began to branch out and listen to other Indian musicians.  I so greatly appreciate Indian music, and culture, and cuisine today.  I owe Ravi Shankar appreciation for being responsible for grabbing my attention and keeping it in regards to his music. 


PipeTobacco


Today's (Wednesday's) Goal =0 bowls
Yesterday's (Tuesday's) Goal = 0 bowls

Actual consumption (Tuesday) = 0 bowls

8 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

Never heard of him so in my world he doesn't count. I like old county western, oldies but goodies and early rock and roll.

But I'm an old western country shit kicker and long hair music doesn't make me feel any more cultured, and all that shit. :-)

If you take anything other than country western to the Big Hole bring your earphones. :-)

Well, I'll listen to Dolly.

You're doing great, keep it up to inspire the rest of us.

Wednesday, 19 December, 2012  
Blogger BBC said...

Bring some Roy Clark and Roger Miller. Oh, and the Judd's, I have a thing for the mother.

Wednesday, 19 December, 2012  
Blogger BBC said...

I'd like to share a campfire with Reba, the rest of you can go build your own fucking campfire.

LOL

Wednesday, 19 December, 2012  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

BBC:

If we are going to listen to country, we will need Willie Nelson. Roy Clark is decent too. While the Judd mother is nice looking, I greatly dislike the daughter (singing daughter I mean, she has an actress daughter too, who seems quite nice). I have never been fond of the Judd's music.

In regards to the pipe, I am doing a whole helluva lot better than I ever thought I would be doing. I really do think that the thing that has been most helpful for me is that I truly am as stubborn as a jackass when I set my mind to something. And, I kick myself (figuratively) all the way to hell and back when I *don't* do something I tell myself I will do.

Do I miss the pipe? Yes. It was a companion and friend for so long, that I do miss it an awful lot.

I do hope that I can wrestle myself into the "special occasion pipe smoker" that I want to become. I am not there yet, but I am practicing to be one.

I had a dream, I think it was on Monday, that it was about a year from now, and that all the disease effects that smoking can contribute to were eliminated, and people could smoke without fear. In the dream, smoking rates climbed back to the 50% mark, and I went back to my pipes. The most noteworthy thing was that this "new society" was content, calm, and rather genteel and much kinder to each other than our modern day approach.

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

Wednesday, 19 December, 2012  
Blogger BBC said...

Oh sure, I like to listen to Wilie Nelson, but I'll never smoke pot with Willy again.

Went to a Boxcar Willy concert once, he put on a great show.

Wednesday, 19 December, 2012  
Blogger BBC said...

I've never acquired much of a library for it or I'd be tempted to take my karaoke machine. I do a damn good Dang Me. And Chantilly Lace.

But can't keep up with parts of Hot Rod Lincoln anymore if I've had more than two beers. :-)

Wednesday, 19 December, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have mentioned the rosary in past posts. I love using a little booklet entitled "The Scriptural Rosary" when praying the rosary. If you search for 'scriptural rosary christianica center' you will find a few places from which it can be purchased. Our church office has them available...$10 each.

LM

Wednesday, 19 December, 2012  
Blogger BBC said...

Mexican and South American drug lords also have rosary's being as most of them are catholics.

Wednesday, 19 December, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home