The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Glasses



I am going to leave campus in a few minutes to head over to my eye doctor to get my yearly eye exam.  I don't *think* I will have any significant change in my perscriptions... either for my distance vision nor for my reading.  We shall see, however  (hah, pun intended). 

I am not sure how others of you feel, but for me, I do not like "progressive" lenses for my bifocals.  I much prefer the traditional style where there is a distinct line demarcating the distance and the reading lenses.  A lot of folks like progressive lenses because of the lack of this line, but for me, I find that the "progressive" change is disconcerting to view, and I have a helluva time locating the right spot to view through for BOTH the distance and reading views.  With the distinct line, it is much, much easier for me. 

Even though a lot of folks get progressive lenses for vanity (I guess they think they look "older" when their bifocal lines show), I think that reason is quite silly.  I do not mind the look of the line, and the benefits for me far outweigh the perceived (hah, pun intended again) problems. 

One thing I do miss, actually, are the "executive" style bifocal lenses.  It seems like they have completely disappeared from the marketplace now.  Executive style bifocal lenses were the type where the entire bottom 1/3 or 1/2 of the lens was bifocal (like in the top picture above).  To me, the executive style were the most useful because they gave such a nice, wide reading window.  The only lined bifocals I seem to be able to find these days are the smaller "section" bifocal like in the second image above.  They work fine, and as I stated above, the line is the real benefit.  But, I do miss the wider arc of view that the executive style provided. 

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger amelia said...

I certainly don't agree with you that people like progressive lenses for vanity. I like them because I can see!! No more having to lift my eyes (head) up and down to focus especially in grocery stores. Nothing at all to do with vanity. I knit and do a lot of close work and I don't have to keep changing glasses to see. I love them!

Thursday, 09 July, 2015  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Amelia:

For me though, the lack of a line made it difficult to really know where to look for the different magnification I wanted. Progressive lenses are continuously variable. When I tried them, it felt like I was constantly working to adjust my eyes.

PipeTobacco

Friday, 10 July, 2015  
Blogger amelia said...

Maybe you need to get your glasses made somewhere else. For me, I see everything perfectly without even thinking about it.

Saturday, 11 July, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home