The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

First Pipe of the Day

It is past noon, but I am only just now enjoying my first pipe of the day.  Why you may ask?  Well, because I had a dental appointment.  

I had a cleaning, and all is good with my choppers.  The hygienist complimented me on my brushing and flossing habits and said my teeth and gums were very strong.  In fact, she said there wasn't much for her to do at all.   The dentist likewise complimented me on my fastidiousness.  He was happy to see that my crown also was doing well.  I hat having a crown on a tooth, because it makes me think I have failed in taking care of my teeth and mentioned that, but he said that for my age and for the severity of my TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) I have taken excellent care of my teeth.  

I have refrained from my pipe prior to going to the dentist for about 10 years now.  When my prior dentist retired 10 years ago (he was and still is a pipe smoker by the way), the fellow who inherited the patient list was  an annoyance who tried to sell everything under the sun to his patients (teeth whitening, veneers, anything to make lots of money, regardless if it was needed for tooth health).  He also reprimanded me for my pipe smoking.  I had brushed my teeth and used mouthwash prior to the visit, but he noticed the pipe in my jacket pocket.  So, I stopped smoking my pipe the evening before an appointment thereafter, and also within a year switched to my current nice dentist. I just kept up the no-pipe on the day of a visit just to avoid hassles.  

Well, I have to head to work.

PipeTobacco

7 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Did your dentist say, 'Your teeth are very good ... for your age'? I hate that appendage. Appendage? Is that right?

Wednesday, 23 August, 2017  
Blogger Sharon said...

Always a good thing when they say 'No problems.'
Congrats! Seems a lot of people are seeing their dentists around now. Haven't heard any bad news!

Wednesday, 23 August, 2017  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Appendage is a good term! I looked at your site, but is there a way to comment? I could not figure it out.

Wednesday, 23 August, 2017  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Should the word be "addendum"? No matter, appendage is funnier!

It seems you have no difficulty in abstaining from the pipe for an evening, Professor. What is the longest fast you have managed?

Thursday, 24 August, 2017  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

yeah, for you...

Thursday, 24 August, 2017  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I was able to refrain for the entirety of Lent one year a few years ago. That is roughly 45 days.

Thursday, 24 August, 2017  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Pipe Tobacco, you should be able to comment on my blog. liz-and-harvey.blogspot.co.uk

Thursday, 24 August, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home