The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Masses

The situation that happened in Las Vegas is horrendous.  I feel sad for all the families affected by this horrible event.  So much happens in life that is beyond our control.  We may rail and shake our fists in anger, but unfortunately there is little that we can do.  Although I am a hunter and fisherman, I would be in favor of far more stringent gun control legislation.  But, I do not know if that would have helped.  The political pundits rage on about their positions and use a tragedy like this only as fuel for their "cause" so it does not matter what we say or do.  Our voices are just a brief puff of air in the wind, quickly dissipating into nothingness.

I ran my five miles, I took out the trash, I am smoking my pipe, sitting out back with the dog.  I will go to the U and do work.  I have no impact.  I just am a furry faced, old guy.  Pretty much everyone is in the same boat.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Presumably the shooter shot at random so you can't even say he had a particular hatred of any group. Except perhaps music lovers. At least if he has a cause one feels there is hope for the issue to be addressed and a solution found - not necessarily for the shooter but for others like him.

Although with the divisive society we both live in (UK and USA) that seems a long way off.

Tuesday, 03 October, 2017  
Blogger austere said...

PT, i think this green planet is hurtling towards its nemesis very quickly, and bad things only accelerate the eventual demise... what the scriptures call Kalyuga.

Tuesday, 03 October, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Clark County Nevada. We are not immune from insanity anymore than Orlando or anywhere else. If this madman had driven a truck into the crowd would everyone be in favor of outlawing trucks? Blame the insanity, not the tools used. It distracts from the real issue which is mental health.

Tuesday, 03 October, 2017  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I do understand that mental health is the issue in the current case. I still feel that a mmre detailed and careful set of gun ownership laws would help all of society.

Tuesday, 03 October, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing has ever gotten better because more laws were passed. You can't regulate human behavior, it is wishful thinking.

Wednesday, 04 October, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home