The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, January 22, 2018

99-Word Essay - "Boots"



This entry is for the 99-Word Essay in flash fiction.  The group I belong to is called  "The Carrot Ranch Literary Community" ,  and the topic this week is "boots".  My submission is below the asterisk line.  I hope you enjoy my effort:

* * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * *

The harsh wind rattled windows of the room, as he slowly worked his aching fingers into unlacing his snow-encrusted boots. 

“There was a helluva lot of snow to shovel,” he remarked to his wife, “...damn near seven inches fell in the last couple hours.”

He slowly carried his boots to the hearth of the fireplace.  She could see and feel his utter exhaustion. Snow still clung to his beard and mustache.

Walking slowly to the cabinet, he poured himself four fingers of whiskey.  Taking a deep swallow, he grimaced as he waited for the liquor’s magic to warm him.  


* * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * *

Even if you are not part of the Carrot Ranch, I would enjoy any comments you may have about my flash fiction. Your comments will help me to try to improve as a writer.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

What a cold looking picture - the feeling is brought out in your essay! Good job!

Monday, 22 January, 2018  
Blogger Forsythia said...

You painted a vivid picture with just 90 words.

Wednesday, 24 January, 2018  
Blogger Jono said...

And I look out my office window and it's snowing. Unfortunately I don't keep any alcohol here at work. See how your story put me right in the mood?

Wednesday, 24 January, 2018  
Blogger Charli Mills said...

I like your pacing, Ben. Your details are concrete and I can feel the cold contacting the warmth, smell the whiskey. It unfolds.

Thursday, 25 January, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home