The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

1994


When I look back on my life, there have been so, so very many things that I have stored in my mind.  Fortunately, most memories are beautiful and happy, and relatively few are harsh.  But, I must say that 25 years ago.... the year itself was one of the hardest damn times I have ever experienced in my life. 

In 1994, it felt like death hung around every corner.  Here is a partial list of the deaths that came into my life during 1994.  From my manner of thinking, 1994 was the worst year of my life and I hope no year I have left ever approaches the level of grief I felt during that year:

1.  My Father passed away after a brief illness. 

2.  TWO of my favorite Uncles passed away... one after a brief illness, one unexpectedly.

3.  One very close aunt passed away.  

4.  My most important mentor from my days in graduate school developed inoperable cancer and died within that year.  He was my major advisor in graduate school and was a major influence on my and the direction of my academic life.... and he also became and exceptionally important friend as well. 

5.  My young niece, only in her late teens, committed suicide that year.  

6.  A very long-standing family friend (for more than 40 years) passed away from an unexpected heart attack.

7.  One of my very deeply loved pets passed away.

8.  My mother was diagnosed with her first form of cancer that year.

*     *     *     *

With another series of NPR stories having played on the radio yesterday on my drive home about the 25th year of the suicide death of Kurt Cobain.... in 1994.... the program washed my mind back to that very horrible year and all the sadness and loss that occurred in my family.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Sorry you had these experience all in one year.
Coffee is on

Wednesday, 24 April, 2019  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Sounds like it was an awful year.

Wednesday, 24 April, 2019  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My goodness. To quote the queen: annus horribilis.

Thursday, 25 April, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I thought 2018 was a bad year for me
1. oldest son committed suicide.
2. best friend of 41 years died of massive heart attack.
3. 3 very good friends on facebook died..
4..2 very close friends in West passed away.
5.and my bestest kitty buddy Dexter died..and that's bad..but have to say..yours was very bad..sorry sweetie.

Friday, 26 April, 2019  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Such sadness in a single year would be devastatingly difficult for anyone and for many others there may also be a year that invokes sad memories.

Saturday, 27 April, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home