The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, April 05, 2019

Suicide

This morning, while I was lying in bed, a story came on NPR that was about the 25th Anniversary of the suicide death of Kurt Cobain.  For those of you unfamiliar, he was a musician who was prominent in the "Grunge" movement in rock in the early 1990s.  He was the lead in a band called "Nirvanna". 

While I knew of some of his music at the time (as it received heavy airplay on the radio), I was not really as aware of him until he committed suicide. But, the reason for this greater knowledge came from reading excerpts of a diary my niece left behind when she committed suicide at the end of that same year, 1994.  She mentioned him extensively in this diary. 

Just hearing about this anniversary has stirred memories and increased my melancholy.  Suicide is so, so, so utterly horrible.  My extended family has never been the same since the day my niece died.  She was such a nice young lady with plans to start college and study for a career in teaching.  She is still so greatly missed.  Yet at the same time, many in my family also still feel anger or other forms of pain due to this suicide.  These emotions do not easily subside.

All I can say is.... even though it is understandable to potentially have thoughts and sadness that may make the idea cross your mind, suicide is never, never, never the answer.  All it does is cause the spread of hurt, the spread of sorrow..... to family and to friends that you love.

PipeTobacco

 

8 Comments:

Blogger John Going Gently said...

I work at Samaritans
Suicide is often the final act of despair after a long long battle with depression
I can liken it sometimes to " people's battle with cancer"
Some people just lose

Friday, 05 April, 2019  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

As sad as this is, I am relieved. When I saw the title, I was worried that you were heading in another more personal direction. Have a good weekend.

Friday, 05 April, 2019  
Blogger GaP said...

Yeah, that blog title had me worried a bit too. Suicide. Imagine a mind that is so soaked in despair that the only course of action that makes any sense is just to check out of this life. I've never actually been there...but I've come close enough to see it. So whenever someone tells me that they've contemplated it, I can't in good conscience pay lip service to the upbeat "Don't try suicide" platitudes. All I can say is that it only leads to more pain...maybe not their own but they will have caused it, it will be their responsibility whether they're able to see the consequences or not. But a dead, cold, broken, shameful part of still whispers..."It's your decision and no one else's...for better or worse."

Saturday, 06 April, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

my son committed suicide a little over a year ago and still don't understand why.

Sunday, 07 April, 2019  
Blogger jenny_o said...

Sometimes suicide is just a way to end unbearable pain, after trying to find some other way, and failing. I know it hurts others, but it's a way for that person to stop hurting. Whose pain is more important?

Monday, 08 April, 2019  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You have written very true words and yes suicide is so very horrible, especially on the families left behind to wonder "why" was their no other alternative. My husband has been affected with two suicides in his family and my brother has had one in his wife's family. The grieving never stops. I was glad that this post was not self-directed.

Wednesday, 10 April, 2019  
Blogger GaP said...

Are you okay, Professor?

Tuesday, 16 April, 2019  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Suicide is never the answer. We know that when we're of sane mind but when we're in the depths of despair it's harder to recognise.

Thursday, 18 April, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home