The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, March 07, 2019

The Pipe Shop


Last Friday, I was attending a State meeting on education and presenting some of the findings I had been able to gather in regards to STEM Majors.  It was a generally productive meeting as far as those sorts of meetings go. 

One thing that was different from usual though, is on my way back home (I travel across the state to get to the meeting.) I have usually had as my "reward" so-to-speak, for having been to and having accomplished this meeting, a stop at a wonderfully traditional, full-fledged pipe & cigar shop that is along the route I take to home. 

Even though I am not smoking a pipe now, I thought I might meander in and look around at the beautiful pipes and lighters, pipe tobacco humidors/pipe racks, etc.  But, at the end of the day, I ended up not taking the 3-4 minute detour off the highway to go to that very beautiful establishment.  Part of me wanted to, but another part of me thought, "What is the point?"  Looking around is enjoyable, but sampling pipe tobaccos, and other shopping is really what the store is about.  And, I was not planning to indulge in a pipe, so it felt, unfortunately, rather superfluous to go. 

So, I drove straight home instead.  I am a bit disappointed in not having gone, but that is what it was.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

WRT your question/comment about abstract, I haven't done it much and don't think I was too successful. One fellow, Paul, posted a comment on my Flickr page and also left a note on the photo (if you scroll on the photo). He's a pretty accomplished photographer, and his insight could be helpful.

Thursday, 07 March, 2019  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

Back during the 1960 my buddy and I use to go to L L Beans in Freeport, Maine to look at hunting, fishing and camping gear. As you walked in the building (back then more of a warehouse than the slick store of now-days) there were a selection of Bean's pipe tobaccos on the counter and you could fill your pipe and smoke as you walked around the store. Those days were a lot simpler and I miss them.
the Ol'Buzzard

Sunday, 10 March, 2019  
Blogger GaP said...

In a way, thanks to you, I've actually begun the fine, gentle art of pipe smoking. Before I went over to YouTube and Facebook, yours was the first blog that I found that had anything to do with it. Just curious...why did you stop? Health reasons? Affordability?

Tuesday, 19 March, 2019  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Understandable that you decided to forgo the visit, but still a regret lingered. I have thought of giving up my addiction to stopping into thrift/secondhand stores. I can't resist going in to perhaps find a "treasure" and I often do, even if it's only a book.

Wednesday, 20 March, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home