The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, April 29, 2019

A Cold 6.2



Hah!  No, I am not talking about a beautifully robust IPA style beverage  (even though that sounds good).

My 6.2 refers to the number of miles I ran this morning (10 Kilometers) in the cold rain.  I made a vow with myself to have at least one day each week in 2019) be where I run a minimum of 6.2 miles in a sitting.  I have done this since January 1st... and on a few weeks, I ran 10K four or five days in a given week. I made this vow with two ideas in mind:

1.  It would help me reassure myself that I could run a 10K road race without feeling like a complete failure and fool.... if I so choose to do so this upcoming Summer (so I can get a t-shirt that says I did it!).

I am not sure if I will run a race or not, even though I would really like the "trophy" of a t-shirt that says I did it.... because... truth be told.... even though I have been at a normal BMI for over 10 years now, I still see myself as the "chubby" nonathletic buffoon I perceived myself to be as a kid.  In the races I did last year (5K races), I was a bundle of nerves for the 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before the race.... not because I had not proven to myself daily that I could run far more than 5K.... but because I felt extremely self conscious about being in the "presence" of "real" runners.... and I was just a fake.  I know that those same feelings are things I will need to overcome again if I choose to enter a race. 

2.  In the back of my mind, I am thinking that I will make my own "celebratory" t-shirt that says something akin to "I ran 52 10Ks in 2019!" or something similar to that.

T-shirts as "trophies" of a sort, probably sounds strange to a lot of folks, but they are meaningful to me.  As a chubby/obese kid (I weighted 220 lb (~100kg or ~12 Stone)) when I graduated high school) and as an obese adult (at my heaviest was just a little bit under 300 pounds (~128 Kg or ~20 Stone).... the exercise and weight loss journey I embarked on has helped me to experience a different sort of reality than I thought was possible for me..... namely that I am becoming a bit "athletic".

I never wore t-shirts as a kid or as an adult when I was heavier because a) they tended to remind me of how heavy I was, and b) I did not "do" sports in high school because I was slow and heavy and embarrassed.... and the "cool athletes" were rather unkind to those of us who were of atypically large circumference.

*     *      *     *   

I have been contemplating also trying some morning this Summer when no one else is out and about, trying to see if I can run my own "personal" half marathon (13.1 miles (21 km)).  Maybe I will make a t-shirt for that too if I do it. :)

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I was trying to keep up with the gg's a couple of weeks ago and by golly I ran..first time I've ran in over 30 years...I was and am very proud of myself..that 55 pounds I lost really makes a difference.

Tuesday, 30 April, 2019  
Blogger David P. said...

I had to give up my lovely IPA's when my doctor advised against all alcohol because of my liver. But I have discovered that they make a non-alcoholic version ; have yet to try them but am hopeful. I used to love having it with steaks, burgers, or mexican food.

Tuesday, 30 April, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

JackieSue:

Congratulations on your weight loss success! I too feel a lot better having reduced my weight. For me, another especially helpful change was in the considerable increase in water/fluids I adopted.

As for running.... I am surprised to admit that running has become something fun that I look forward to doing (most of the time :) ).

Schrodinger's Dog:

I hope your liver issues are being easily managed and are not especially serious. When you eventually do try the non-alcoholic IPA.... let me know what you think. I have not seen any non-alcoholic varieties around in my parts yet, but I actually never thought to look.

I tend to like all the different textures and flavors of the various IPAs. I am not much of a connoisseur though.... and admit (with a little embarrassment) that often times I pick an IPA based upon how interesting I find the label on the bottle. :) With my varied tastes.... I tend to like them all anyway. :)

PipeTobacco

Tuesday, 30 April, 2019  
Blogger BBC said...

Cool..... Carry on...

Tuesday, 30 April, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home