The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Favorite Foods I Try to Resist


As I have mentioned, about 10 or a little more years ago, I went through a period of weight lost where I had a goal to bring my BMI down into the normal range.  In order to do this, I had to go through considerable thought and effort to change my thinking about food and what to eat. 

For my effort, my major change was in proportions.  Truth be told, I LOVE to eat, and I ate BIG quantities of food....  but, today..... I still LOVE to eat and I still eat BIG quantities of food.  The change is in proportions:

Basically, if a food is calorie dense (lots of calories in a small package), I tend to eat those foods in small or very small volume.  This means that fried foods (which I never liked much anyway) tend to be either avoided or eaten in very small quantities.  High fat foods in general are eaten in very small volume.

If a food is calorie diffuse (few calories in a big volume of food), I then tend to eat A LOT of those foods.  This means salads, vegetables, fruits, etc.

If the food is calorie medium (an "in-between") caloric content relative to volume, I eat a MODERATE sized volume of those foods.  Beans, lentils, chickpeas, chicken, fish, breads fall into this realm.

So, that is what I did in a nutshell.  I just changed the proportions of the foods that I ate.  It allowed me to lose 120 pounds (~55kg or 8.5 stone).

However, there are a few foods that I find very difficult to NOT eat in HUGE quantities when available.  The two foods that I do struggle with to eat in the right volume are:

Pizza
Nuts (especially mixed nuts in a can)

I am not successful in proportional eating of those two foods, and so.... I simply try to avoid those two items as much as possible... because my willpower is not so successful with those two things.

PipeTobacco 

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I struggle with many foods. Basically I like the bad ones and dislike the good ones.

Wednesday, 01 May, 2019  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I also like food. I see you like chick pea.
Coffee is on

Wednesday, 01 May, 2019  
Blogger Jordan Kranson said...

I myself love a lot of food, but I'm restricting myself with a gluten free diet. I don't have health issues or anything, just tried it as an experiment and kept going for a few years now :)

Thursday, 02 May, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

AC:

Hah. I understand! But, fortunately.... for me... I tend to like an array of foods both good and bad, so that has helped me. Also, oddly enough, some of the "bad" foods are ones I really do not enjoy and that makes it even easier to avoid them completely (bacon, pork, fried foods).

PepperLady:

I am glad you mentioned that.... I have actually always liked chickpeas... but have grown to appreciate and use them even more. They are truly very, very versatile! I have made some good breakfast items with them (in omelets for instance) and eat them in salads, and in a whole big number of ways as a main course. I have even eaten them as snacks! And, humus..... man.... plain, on bread, made into a variety of other sauces..... the little chickpea seems to be perfect anywhere anytime to me!

Jordan:

I am glad that "gluten free" is workable for you. But, for me.... I absolutely love "glutens" (or at least the foods that have glutens in them). I do also admit many "gluten substitute foods* like the various pastas, breads, etc.... are ALSO very enjoyable... so I *could* go gluten free if there was a reason.... but my body handles gluten with aplomb so I see no need to refrain. :)

PipeTobacco

Thursday, 02 May, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home