The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Meeting After Hours

With most scientific meetings, there is a reasonable amount of flex-time.  During some of the down time, I was able to go to the Chicago Museum of Art which was utterly amazing.  There were far too many things to mention them all, but I especially enjoyed the Impressionists that I was able to see in real life, and also the Armor Room which featured many beautiful suits of armor (for man and for horses as well) from the Middle Ages.  Seeing them in person helped the Middle Ages feel far more real than in photos and images in books. 

Drinking also is a fairly frequent activity at most of these meetings.  This particular meeting, however, was not one that a lot of my close, pipe-smoking friends from other U's attend, so I did not even bother to bring a pipe or tobacco with me as I did not think I would have need to consider indulging with a friend or two. 

But, I did have a couple of beers one of the evenings at the meeting.  I was surprised, but also not surprised that having the couple of beers had me craving a pipe.  I guess the bit of surprise was that the craving was quite intense, so much so that it seemed sort of pointless for me to bother finishing the third beer I had, since I had no pipe nor pipe tobacco with me, and I figured the desire would only further strengthen if I had finished the third beer..... so I left the bottle half-full at the bar and meandered back to the hotel.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home