The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, August 30, 2019

The Dream


I had another, very vivid, very beautiful dream last night about pipe smoking.  It was surprisingly vivid, robust, and also a bit odd:

The basic image of this dream was that I was was watching myself smoke one of my very large bowled, full-bent briar pipes, and I was grinning my widest, furry-faced grin of joy as I very animatedly talked and joked and smoked with a whole host of different folks who visited me..... it seriously must have been at least 20 or 25 different people..... some obvious visitors were my father, my father-in-law and a couple of uncles.   But other folks came by as well..... aunts and cousins, old teachers of mine, friends, famous folks I admire, people I haven't thought of in years, and even an appearance by an old girlfriend of mine for a few moments. 

Truthfully, it really ran the gambit and while I was joyfully smoking, and smoking quite robustly the whole time.... the scenery itself was also as vivid as the folks who were visiting me.  But also odd and interesting was that the scenery around me kept shifting and changing and swirling around (almost akin to the swirling of images in Disney's Fantasia).  A lot of the time I was in some sort of amusement park, with rides swirling around in my vision, but then I was also in a few larger cities (I think one was Paris and another Berlin, and a third somewhere in India). 

It was a STRANGE, but wonderful dream.  It felt a bit sad to wake up and realize it was not happening.

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Leaving aside any attempts at deeper analysis, your dream quite obviously illustrates that you are very happy to be seen as a pipe smoker in whatever milieu you may find yourself.

The last 18 months have demonstrated that you can retain your enjoyment of pipe smoking as an intellectual abstraction while abstaining. You should be happy about such an accomplishment. However, if at some point you decide once again to show yourself to the world as a pipe smoker, I hope a dream like this one will remind you to be happy about that choice, too.

Friday, 30 August, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I think about rejoining the hobby most days still... sometimes it is only a mild wish, other times the desire to do so is still very surprisingly strong. I have come very close to picking up a pipe again many, many times. I do miss them.

PipeTobacco

Friday, 30 August, 2019  
Blogger BBC said...

I have all sorts of strange dreams and no clue where they come from. The brain can be pretty amazing when left alone to play.

Friday, 30 August, 2019  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Dreams come from our subconscious how and when they will developed in dream is anyone guess.

Friday, 30 August, 2019  
Blogger GaP said...

I am endeavoring to become an actual pipe-smoker...and I still feel like a poseur. Inauthentic. Unworthy of the venerable hobby. My role-models have years of practice and savoir-faire...but still, I find myself wanting. Practice makes perfect, I guess. Pipe-smoking is like golfing, I suppose. Ho matter how adept you are, you're always going to feel like you're getting something...not right.

Monday, 09 September, 2019  
Blogger Diana Glampers said...

Tobacco is evil and very clever, you better be careful.

Monday, 09 September, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home