The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

23 Months Without

Today marks my completion of 23 total months without indulging in my beautiful, friendly pipes and pipe tobaccos.  Perhaps I should be jumping up and down having become free of the "evil habit".   But, I am utterly ambivalent about this milestone.  I should figure out a way to internalize and feel the same sense of rancor, anger, and judgement that modern society feels about the indulgence in pipe tobacco.... but it seems I am not yet able to find a way to feel these feelings myself. 



7 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Kind sir, from your posts here I don't think you are "free of" your love of pipes and pipe tobacco. Your pipe-smoking dreams show us your ideal, free of social pressure to conform. You seem to be in the odd spot of being a "non-smoking pipe-smoker." More than that, you still see your pipe collection as a collection of old friends and happy companions, not as a collection of foul devils eager to re-enslave you into their service. Deep down, perhaps even subconsciously, I suspect you know that you will return to your pipes someday, and that when they tempt you they are not calling you to evil and ruin, but rather are calling you to rediscover a missing part of yourself.

Tuesday, 14 January, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I'm so fecking proud of you..

Tuesday, 14 January, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I congratulate you on reaching this milestone.

Wednesday, 15 January, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Non-smoking pipe smoker seems to be an accurate description, indeed, Pat. It is a conundrum I think about a great deal.

Wednesday, 15 January, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Thank you, JackieSue! I appreciate that a lot. I wish I felt some sort of pride or accomplishment it it, myself. To me, it just a feeling of ambivalence. And, that frustrates me a bit.

Wednesday, 15 January, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Thank you, Anvil! I appreciate the well wishes.

Wednesday, 15 January, 2020  
Blogger Dr Sebi Jr said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Saturday, 18 January, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home