The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, February 03, 2020

Thoughts from Readings

Since I was not paying appropriate attention at Mass yesterday, I went to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops to read through what I should have been able to pay attention to.  Although not as useful as hearing it at Mass, the one thing I did take away from reading the three readings (First, Second, Gospel) was a strong focus on the idea of purification. 

For me, the take home message is that I need to work on purifying my heart and mind so that I can be a better person and a better servant to others.  I need to work harder to not be the selfish person I can be and often am.  I need to focus more on others and how my role in life is really not about me, but about how I can, if I try hard, to have a positive effect for others.  The readings remind me of how I so very frequently forget or ignore that idea of being of service to others in my life. 

I hope to work harder at being a better professor for my students in teaching them and in guiding them in research.  I hope to work harder to be the better husband I can be for my wife, the better father I can be for my children.  I want and need to be a better me for family and friends and my community. 

Knowing what I want to be is far different than being what I want to be, however.   That is the conundrum.   I need to work harder to not be selfish.  I need to work outside of my own hurts, and fears, and anger.

PipeTobacco

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Oh PipeTobacco, please do not be so hard on yourself or set yourself impossible targets. God doesn't want that from you. He just wants you to love him, and act out that love. Don't feel bad for not paying enough attention: you were doing what needed to be done. You were serving. that is our job.

Monday, 03 February, 2020  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i think a motorcycle might help you on your journey.

Monday, 03 February, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are being very hard on yourself.

Tuesday, 04 February, 2020  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Sounds like you're into Lent already. :-)

Tuesday, 04 February, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Thank you, Liz. I understand what you are saying, but I *know* I can be better if I would try harder.

PipeTobacco

Tuesday, 04 February, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Pirsig’s “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” is one of my favorite novels.... and it did often lead me to fantasize about driving a motorcycle. But, I am too damn much of a klutz.

PipeTobacco

Tuesday, 04 February, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I do understand what you are saying. But, if I am not hard on myself about my shortcomings, how can I try to improve to become a better person?

Tuesday, 04 February, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Forsythia:

That made me chuckle! Thank you!

PipeTobacco

Tuesday, 04 February, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home