The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Did You Ever Notice?



I am sure that virtually none of you may have noticed the similarity in shapes between full bent tobacco pipes, bass clarinets, and tenor saxophones.  But, as all three are favorites of mine, I can assure you that I have been aware of their similarities most of my life.  I found it rather humorous (or perhaps logical?) that I gravitated to all three.  

I also remember when I first saw the album cover of the Eric Dolphy Quartet's Copenhagen Concerts when I was a teenager looking in a record store.  I had already noticed the similarity between the two instruments and a pipe prior to seeing Dolphy's album cover, but I found it very cool that he made reference to it as well.  He was both a jazz tenor saxaphonist and a jazz bass clarinetist.  You can see one of his performances here. The performance is NOT from the above album, but is a more standard song (Take the A Train) when he was playing with Charles Mingus.  His solo comes in around the 4:30 mark. 

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger MRMacrum said...

Great version of that song. Love the Rag Time solo.

Wednesday, 08 April, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Didn't Sherlock Homes smoked a pipe like in your post.

Wednesday, 08 April, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

Sorry for the late response to this excellent post. I had not considered the similarities before seeing the pipe and the instruments in sequence. But a special thanks for the link. That was an extraordinary performance. Marvelous!

Thursday, 09 April, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home