The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, April 02, 2020

Run, Run, Run

In this time of Covid-19, I have found that it can be challenging to find a way to move beyond all the sadness and worry and grief inherent in this horrible situation we all find ourselves in.   With this idea in mind, I am thinking that on MOST DAYS, I am going to approach my blog writing in the following fashion:

1.  BRIEF writing on personal aspects of the Covid-19 pandemic.

but, more significantly,

2.  A longer post that is more about other non-Covid-19 thoughts and ideas and happenings personally. 

My reasoning for the above is to NOT negate the Covid-19 situation, because it is horrific and deserves ample attention and ample care.  But, instead, my plan is meant to give at least a little tiny bit of a breather for readers (and for myself) to go outside of Covid-19. 

* * * *

Brief Covid-19:


My wife and I have successfully navigated our first attempt to purchase groceries through the on-line shopping app from our local grocery store.  Like most things electronic, it took some getting used to, and it limited the choices of what our produce looked like (for instance, the bananas we received were of a much older stage than we would typically buy).  But, overall it was very helpful and useful. 

Other Topics:

I have been running quite early again this week.  I have been pushing myself a bit, so that I have already ran 33 miles (53 km) this week (as of today, Thursday).  I am trying to go above the 40 mile (65 km) barrier this week as I think it will help me to grow and become physically stronger and perhaps more healthy.  Running in the morning is much more successful for me and I have faster times. 

I still have hopes of running a half marathon if it is allowable this Summer.  I do not know if society will be able to allow that though.   But, I am trying to work on my running efforts in anticipation that there is at least some glimmer of hope in that possibility. My last effort for running the half marathon's 13.1 miles (21km) felt pretty good for me.  I did not stop at all during the run, and I was able to complete it outside in under 2 hours.  That is what I would really like to be able to maintain and do in an actual official half marathon road race when I am in the midst of actual, real runners.  It is still challenging for me psychologically/emotionally to run when there are real runners in a road race.  My own core image of myself is still my "very hefty, couch-potato" image of how I had been for the majority of my life.  And, that stems from being a chubby kid who was not good at sports growing up. 

PipeTobacco 

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

For a guy that wasn't good at sports, this is awesome. It would still be awesome even if you were good back then.

Thursday, 02 April, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I think we learn all new way of life. Haven't yet tackle on line food shopping yet.

Thursday, 02 April, 2020  
Blogger jenny_o said...

I think you are wise to post in this way.

And your running performances are impressive! Even if runs are not permitted by summer, it never hurts to be in great condition!

Thursday, 02 April, 2020  
Blogger WORLD MOST TRUSTED HACKERS said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, 03 April, 2020  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

I believe viruses are in your field of research. I just posted a Biology 101 attempt to explain viruses. I would appreciate you input and be interested in you posting a more authoritative discussion.

the Ol'Buzzard

Sunday, 05 April, 2020  
Blogger WORLD MOST TRUSTED HACKERS said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sunday, 05 April, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home